Hospital or surgery center ?

I am considering a TT and BBL. I read reviews for the PS I chose and the patients mentioned their surgery was done in a surgery center. What are the pros/cons of a hospital vs a surgery center ? I'm worried what willl happen if an emergency arises. Are surgery centers equipped to deal with it?

Hospital or Surgery Center

A surgery center accredited by The Joint Commision AAAASF, or a center that is dually accredited is something you should look for as a start. Other safety considerations include carefully checking the credentials of your plastic surgeon, Anesthesia provider and medical team

I prefer operating in my dually accredited surgery center for the following reasons
- An MD Board-Certified Anesthesiologist remains at the bedside of the patient for the duration of surgery
- I work with an extraordinary team of medical professionals that I have personally hired and trained. 
- Patients can stay overnight if needed in my facility with round the clock supervision by experienced nurses
- Patient privacy is important and was part of the surgery experience and this was implemented into the design of   my building. Patients can enter and exit from a first floor back door for surgery and pre and post operative appointments.
- By building my own surgery center and office, I was able to include the things I liked from hospitals and  changed the things I did not like. My repeat patients and staff all notice and appreciate the attention to detail

We have not had a need to transport a patient from my facility to a hospital. But I have admitting privileges at multiple hospitals closeby, including a new, large state of the art facility less than a quarter mile away. 

Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Hospital or surgery center

Hi, LaShawn76.  If the surgery center is credentialed, it should be fully equipped to deal with any emergency.  Please talk with your plastic surgeon and surgery center to verify.  Good luck with your surgery and recovery.

Sugene Kim, MD, FACS

Your decision

Hello. You have a very good question. There are pros and cons to both settings.  But from a safety standpoint you should choose the setting that you feel will be the safest. Good luck. 

Dr. B

Carlos Burnett, MD, FACS
Westfield Plastic Surgeon

Hospital or surgery center?

There are different levels of licensure for surgery centers. Mine is a Medicare Class C facility which means that I have all of the same safety equipment as a free standing hospital. However, I do have privileges at both of the local hospitals should a situation arise that warrants a hospital visit. Perhaps you could ask your surgeon what measures he would take in the off chance that something would go wrong. Best of luck with your upcoming surgery!

Brian K. Reedy, MD
Reading Plastic Surgeon

Hospital or surgicenter?

It's really about 50-50. I generally prefer a hospital for tummy tucks because the hospital I work out of has a great over night program for just $250. Private room, medication, nursing. Can't beat it. Safest possible place to be. But a lot of docs do it out of a surgicenter and then you generally go home.

Ronald Schuster, MD

Surgery center

I appreciate your question.
We have a medicare accredited facility with all doctors. 
Our patients love the privacy and convenience.
We are equipped to handle any types of problems but mostly operate on healthy people which is why we have never had this type of issue.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.
Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery.

best of luck!

Dr Schwartz

Jaime S. Schwartz, MD, FACS

Hospital or Surgery Center?

Thank you for the important question. If the surgery center is fully accredited it should be equipped to handle emergencies. 
The pros of a surgical center is the privacy and convenience of scheduling. 
For reassurance discuss this with your PS. 

Dr. K

Dana Khuthaila, MD, FACS

Safety of Surgery Centers

Our number one priority is patient safety. Board certified plastic surgeons who are members of the Aesthetic Society sign an affidavity each year attesting to the fact that all sedation or general anesthetic cases will be done in accredited operating facilities. These centers undergo the same scrutiny as does a hospital. Look for accreditation by AAAASF or AAHC. Ask your surgeon for details about their facility where the surgery will take place. Good Luck. 

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS

Hospital vs surgery center

Thank you for your question. Surgery centers are equipped to deal with emergencies and credentialed to do procedures. They also have some kind of arrangement if they need to transfer their patients to hospital. Pl express your concerns to your PS

Ven Erella, MD

Hospital tummy tuck.

The key to safety is accreditation and you should ask your surgeon about his preferences. We prefer an office facility and ours is AAAASF accredited, with a transfer arrangement to my local hospital Though this has never been necessary. Why the office facility? We like the greater privacy for one, and the cost saving is substantial. We also have no infections, and no medical errors which are seen in busy hospital settings. Where ever you go safety and good patient selection are important, so your question is a good one.