How do I heal slight labiaplasty separations?

I had labiaplasty 17 days ago and I'm still spotting bleeding from my incision line. My doctor said everything looks fine and to just keep using neosporin but I have two spots, one on each side that is a very minor opening in the line of stitches. They're superficial and don't create any type of hole or go through to the other side. However, nothing I do will heal them?! No healing progress has been made they just seem to stay the same. What can I do about this?

Why you should NOT use neosporin/polysporini ointment and mess with labiaplasty incision lines...

How to heal small superficial labiaplasty separations:1. Keep your hands off them. Don't "inspect" them all the time...2. Do not use occlusive ointments like polysporin or neosporin- will delay healing3. Gently rinse twice a day. Give the healing incision line lots or air. Let superficial scabs ("nature's dressings") form- do not peel them off.
They will heal nicely in 2 weeks. If they're getting red & "angry looking," see your surgeon.
Michael P Goodman, MDDavis, CA, USA

Let them heal on their own

There is no intervention more effective than waiting for the scars to heal. This takes 6-8 weeks on average. Stop looking at your scars and be patient. Don't fuss or manipulate the scars. There is nothing to do.

Openings in Labiaplasty incisions.....

The best thing to do is see your surgeon.   In the meantime, keep the area clean with soap and water and apply antibiotic ointment.  Do this 2-3 times per day.  It will heal as long as there isn't a piece of suture under the area that is open.   

Thank you for your question and congratulations on your labiaplasty procedure.  Small superficial separations tend to heal on their own if you are able to maintain the area well moisturized. It may take a week or more but your body will cover over the abraded area with your normal skin covering to leave you with little evidence of the separation.  Follow your surgeon's advice and allow your body more time to fully heal, all should be well.

How do I heal slight labiaplasty separations

At this point in your healing process, I would continue to be patient.  However, if you are bleeding from those areas then I would consider some spot cautery to stop the bleeding.Make sure stay in close observation with your surgeon and best of luck.

Skin Separation: Approximate The Edges

Skin separation can be addressed using several techniques.  One technique involves "refreshing" the edges and placing a few stitches to approximate the edges.  This procedure is usually straightforward, but should not be performed until after the postoperative swelling has reduced.  I recommend that patients should address any concerns directly with the surgeon that performed the operation.   I wish you the best.

Jeffrey S. Palmer, MD, FACS, FAAP
Cleveland Urologist

How do I heal slight labiaplasty separations? = follow up with your surgeon #labiaplasty #vaginalrejuvenation

In my practice, if a labiaplasty patients have small spots at the incision site that haven't healed completely, and continue to spot bleed, I very often cauterize them in the office under local anesthesia. 

Patients with questions and concerns about their labiaplasty  healing process should address those concerns with the  surgeon that performed the operation. 

John Mesa, MD

Labiaplasty separations

I understand your concern and appreciate you asking us. I am glad you have been diligent in meeting with your surgeon post-operation as that is how you ensure the best healing process possible. From what you describe in your post, I do not think there is much you can do besides continuing to add the neosporin and keeping the wounded area clean and safe from excessive activity. They will heal. It is disheartening when it seems no visual progress is being made but I promise that healing has started. It is unfortunate when complications keep us in bed longer than we would like but I believe you are going to have a great result in a few weeks time. You are still early in the healing process. Try not to stress too much, relax :) if things seems to worsen or become infected, you know where to ask.   

Best wishes

Traci Temmen, MD 

Traci Temmen, MD