Should I contact a Dermatologist or a Plastic Surgeon to get fillers for sunken cheeks ? Both seem to do the procedure. (photo)

I was told Juviderm would be best for me to add volume. Any advice? (40 years old, sunken, hollowed cheeks from running and weight loss)

Doctor Answers 21



New York Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.6 out of 5 stars 93 reviews

Sunken cheeks

Either of the "4 core" specialties (plastic surgery, oculo-facial plastic, facial plastic and dermatology) have board certified physicians who are injection specialists and these are the doctors who not only have the basic training in facial anatomy and aesthetics but specialize in treating the face with fillers and devices.  From your photo, an excellent option to consider would be Sculptra as well as Voluma (suggested below) and Radiesse.  Many patients love the gradual subtle improvement with Sculptra and that the result is due to stimulation of your own collagen ( and therefore also lasts the longest of all the injection treatments, 2-3 years in many patient)..  It's important however to seek out an expert injector for the best results because it highly depends on technique, not only the choice of product.

I hope that helps and best of luck...

Joseph A. Eviatar, MD, FACS
New York Oculoplastic Surgeon
4.7 out of 5 stars 66 reviews

Best Choice for Fillers in the Face

The best injector choice of the face is typically a physician injector of facial plastic, plastic, or dermatologic background.  There are many other specialites and non-physicians who inject the face, however the facial anatomy is quite complex particularily around the eye and nose.  

Anil R. Shah, MD
Chicago Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 166 reviews

Should I contact a Dermatologist or a Plastic Surgeon to get fillers for sunken cheeks ?

Either would be a good choice as long as they are highly experienced with injectable treatments of the cheeks. To be sure, review before and after photos of the results for their own patients. For cheek augmentation, in my opinion, Juvederm Voluma is the best product currently available. Juvederm works well for nasolabial folds, lips and other facial areas. I hope this information is helpful for you.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Stephen Weber, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 129 reviews

Should I contact a Dermatologist or a Plastic Surgeon to get fillers for sunken cheeks ? Both seem to do the procedure

There are many doctors who perform injections of Dermal fillers.  Just make sure you go to see someone who performs these procedures on a regular basis and is well trained.  Cosmetic and plastic surgeons as well as dermatologists are well trained to do dermal fillers.

Victoria Karlinsky, MD
Manhattan General Surgeon
4.4 out of 5 stars 24 reviews

Sunken Cheeks and treatment by Dermatologists

From your photo you would be the perfect candidate for adding volume to the cheeks. Juvederm is good but Voluma or Sculptra would be better in your case. I would suggest you consult a board certified dermatologist with a great deal of experience with cosmetic injections for the best results. 

Michele S. Green, MD
New York Dermatologist
5.0 out of 5 stars 78 reviews

Plastic surgeon vs Dermatologist


Plastic Surgeons, Facial Plastic Surgeons, & Dermatologists are the main group of injectors.  But not all Dermatologists and not all Plastic Surgeons do injections or want to do injections.  Many do offer injections but dont have the expertise or finesse.  Some nurse injectors may be better at injections than even a plastic surgeon.  So the answer is IT DEPENDS.  You have to look at the individual doctor and see what his or her expertise is.  Do not just assume that their credentials qualifies them. 

Shervin Naderi, MD, FACS
Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 109 reviews

Filler into the Cheeks

It is best to find an experienced injector, as long as they are board certified.  Both dermatologists and plastic surgeons are well trained in surgery and anatomy.  You just need to find someone who has a great aesthetic eye and can do what it is you are asking for.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Jason Emer, MD
Los Angeles Dermatologic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 196 reviews

Filler Treatment of Sunken Cheeks

Filler of sunken cheeks requires significant expertise. Generally Juvederm Ultra (what most people mean by "Juvederm") is not a good choice for this. You usually need a heaver filler that will hold the cheek up such as Radiesse or Juvederm Voluma. Many physicians are trained for this (most in the last several months) but few have the experience to do so properly. Make sure you choose an expert injector who has been doing this procedure for many years.

Robert T. Buchanan, MD
Highlands Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 6 reviews

Should I contact a Dermatologist or a Plastic Surgeon

Both are able to perform the injections.  You need to interview each and decide which has the appropriate aesthetic judgement!  It is not the filler that makes you look great, but the placement and amount of the filler.

Francis R. Palmer, III, MD
Beverly Hills Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.6 out of 5 stars 25 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.