Can Artefill (Bellafill) be used to treat acne scars? Cannot find the results for clinical trials done. (photos)

I read a lot of reviews about problems with Artefill from 2008, 2009 and 2010. I would like to know if any doctors can give me their 2014 opinion. I read Artefill uses PMMA (essentially plastic beads) and after months to maybe years it moves and forms lumps that can only surgically be removed. I read that Suneva Medical changed the name to Bellafill and did 3 clinical trials over the years with the latest done in February 2013 for acnes scars but am nervous I cannot find those results.

FDA approved for acne scars

Bellafill was recently approved by the FDA for treatment of atrophic, distensible acne scars on the cheeks. It is the only dermal filler with FDA approval for acne scars. If this is something that you are interested in i would consult with board certified physician. Also I suggest looking into CO2 fraxel laser for acne scars just based on the severity of your scarring. I hope this helps you on your journey!:)

The Woodlands Family Physician

BellaFill is FDA approved for acne scars.  It can be placed very precisely and has a 5 year indication.  

John Burns, MD

Bellafill was recently approved by the FDA for treatment of atrophic, distensible acne scars on the cheeks. It is the only dermal filler with FDA approval for acne scars. Acne scars come in many varieties, however, and you should visit a board-certified dermatologist to find out if Bellafill or another treatment option such as fractionated laser resurfacing or subcision may be better for you. If you visit the Bellafill official website, you can find results from the clinical trials leading to FDA approval.

Mitchel P. Goldman, MD
San Diego Dermatologic Surgeon

Bellafill for acne scars

Bellafill does not move. Lumpiness has more to do with injector technique than any problem with the filler, same as all other fillers. It is as safe if not safer than any other filler as far as incidence of nodules or granulomas.
Bellafill is now approved for acne scar treatment, the only filler to have received such distinction. Go to link for 5 year safety data.

Peter T. Truong, MD
Fresno Oculoplastic Surgeon

BellaFill and Acne Scars

Bellafill (formerly known as Artefill) is a semi-permanent filler made of bovine collagen gel. It is FDA-approved for nasolabial folds and acne scars. It helps stimulate new collagen formation. Since it is a bovine collagen, a skin test is initially needed to make sure you're not allergic to it.

Ava Shamban, MD
Santa Monica Dermatologic Surgeon

Artefill now Bellafill Approved for Acne Scars

Thought I would forward this recently released information concerning Bellafill for acne scars.  Always make sure your injector is experienced with using Bellfill.  Read reviews and ask to talk to patients who have had the treatment before. #Bellafill #acnescarring 

Gilbert Lee, MD

Artefill (Bellafill) for Acne Scarring

This is an excellent question because there are a lot of people who have this problem and do not know where to turn. Most of the treatments for your problem are unsatisfactory at best. Artefill, which has been recently rebranded as Bellafill, works wonderfully for the rolling scars that acne can produce and like you seem to have in your photos. The company that makes Bellafill has completed a study but it is not available to the public since it has been submitted to the FDA. What this means is that the company cannot talk about Bellafill for acne treatment until the FDA completes its review and the FDA will not let the study be released until it has completed the review. How long that will take is anyone’s guess but the company, Suneva, has been waiting at least 6 months now.

This does not mean that you cannot get treated. Injection of acne scars I simply off label and this is something that practitioners do all the time. Like Botox for the forehead is off label.

Bellafill is very safe and I have added a video about this here.

For rolling acne scars, it is unsurpassed as a filler. It will not get rid of the color and will not give your “perfect” skin but it is much better than lasers and chemical peels for your problem.

I hope that helps.

Best regards.

Brian Windle, MD
Kirkland Plastic Surgeon

Fixing Bellafill complications

Bellafill and other permanent fillers continue to be used on the face for acne scars. Our office specializes in the surgical removal of these fillers once complications arise. 

Dr. Karamanoukian 
Los Angeles

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS