After years of being undiagnosed, is diabetic hair loss reversible? I have PCOS. Diabetes and PCOS run in my family.

I have had diffuse hair loss for 2.5 yrs. I have PCOS and take Desogen (bcp). I just saw another hair loss doctor, and he thinks I'm either prediabetic or diabetic. Is diabetic hair loss reversible? He said I have diffuse hair thinning. He examined a follicle under the microscope and found it to be miniature. He said there are areas of normal hair and areas of thin hair. Also, I've read that Metformin can cause hair loss. Would a better alternative be insulin injections?

Thank you for your question. The “Organic Hair Transplantation” method is a novel development in modern hair transplantation surgery practice which was developed with the efforts of our research and development department. Now; our successful hair transplantation results has evolved to a new era thanks to the “Organic Hair Transplantation” method. We can consider this new method as a revolutionary development.

“Organic Hair Transplantation” is based on injection of a mixture containing adipose derived stem cells obtained from own fat tissue of the patient to the scalp of the patient. The recipient area gets rejuvenated and the viability of transplanted grafts is increased with the effects of adipose derived stem cell injection. The injection of adipose derived stem cells also provides a better work area for the surgeon.

Turkey Plastic Surgeon

Diabetes does not cause hair loss directly. Many diabetics have a full head of hair. See a doctor for treatment options.

Diabetes does not cause hair loss directly. Many diabetics have a full head of hair.  Same is true for women with PCOS. See a doctor for treatment options. 

Jae Pak, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Understanding hair loss from PCOS

Without getting all your medical information, I can only make a few generalizations about hair loss in women with PCOS

1. Hair loss occurs in many women with PCOS. Genetics combined with the hormonal changes can lead to hair loss. 

2. Minoxidil and oral contraceptives and hormone blocking medications are first line treatments for androgenetic hair loss in women with PCOS.  Other hormone blockers can be used too. Treatments like low level laser therapy (LLLT) and platelet rich plasma can also be considered. Other treatments you'll hear about have little or no evidence in treating hair loss in women with PCOS. 

3. The diabetic and pre-diabetic state is NOT a major contributor to hair loss. Diabetics, "insulin resistance" or "prediabetes" are increased in women with PCOS but they are fairly separate issues. About 40 % of women with PCOS have insulin resistance. Treating the diabetes or prediabetes does not lead to major improvements in hair growth. But treating the prediabetic state is very important - and so is treating any associated high blood pressure, high cholesterol, irregular periods, infertility and weight gain. These too are associated with PCOS. 

4.  The "prediabetic" state is due to insulin resistance in PCOS. The key treatment is metformin and other insulin sensitizers. Use of insulin injections are not the first step. They become necessary only when blood sugars can't be controlled with other means. 

4. Metformin can cause hair loss but that is rare.