Am I a good candidate for Tummy Tuck with PCOS?

I have PCOS however will be having a Tummy Tuck in October I have been able to lose weight with exercising 3-4 times a week. I'm 5'3 155 lbs. I just want to be sure. The reason I'm asking is because I didn't add it to my medical questionaire not purposely. I just haven't thought about it in so long. I have already emailed my cordinator letting her know in case I have to redo the questionaire. Because it's the weekend I was just hoping to get an answer before Monday thank you.

Your PCOS shouldn’t impact your tummy tuck candidacy.

First of all, congratulations on your weight loss! You ask how PCOS may affect your ability to get a tummy tuck. It likely won’t impact your health in a way that makes you a bad candidate for a tummy tuck. You’ve done the right thing by contacting your surgical coordinator, and you should follow up with your plastic surgeon to make sure they’re informed. It’s common for women with PCOS to take the birth control pill in order to regulate hormone levels, and this is important information for your plastic surgeon to have. But there’s no reason why you shouldn’t be able to proceed, as planned, with your surgery. Best of luck!

Tummy Tuck and PCOS

You may still be a good candidate for a tummy tuck with the PCOS.  You should discuss your medical problem completely though, both with your plastic surgeon, and the internist giving you medical clearance.

Arnold S. Breitbart, MD, FACS
Long Island Plastic Surgeon

Congratulations on your successful weight loss; you should be very proud of this accomplishment. The existence of PCOS should not be a problem; it is most likely that your plastic surgeon will not have any specific concerns in this regard. Best wishes for an outcome that you will be very pleased with.

PCOS

Thank you for your question. I do think it's important to let your surgeon know about it, but it depends on the treatment you are receiving for the PCOS as to whether or not it would affect your surgery. If you are taking a birth control pill to help balance your hormone levels, this can increase your risks of blood clots (DVT's). It may be smart to ask your surgeon if you need a medication to combat this risk around the time of surgery, such as a drug called Lovenox. Best wishes on your procedure!

Paul J. Leahy, MD
Leawood Plastic Surgeon

Abdominoplasty with PCOS

Thank you for your question. PCOS is not a contraindication for an abdominoplasty. Please discuss with your patient care coordinator any hormones you may be taking.  This is important because hormone therapy can lead to deep vein thrombosis or DVT. Every precaution should be taken to avoid DVT. Best wishes in your upcoming surgery! Sincerely,
James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society,
AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck candidate

No problem. PCOS is not a contraindication for tummy tuck surgery. Every effort should always be made to take measures to reduce the chance of DVT. I do not think that you need cemo prophylaxis. Good luck.