Is it normal for areolas to be different sizes after surgery? (Photo)

I am 3 weeks post surgery and my areolas seem to be very different sizes. One was always bigger than the other but it definitely seems more pronounced now. Is this likely to improve at all as swelling goes down etc? I'm pretty upset about it...

Areolar asymmetry after surgery

Thanks for the question.  Asymmetries that are present before breast surgery are often more pronounced after surgery.  I make it a point in preoperative consultations to show the patient any pre-existing asymmetries of their breasts that will not be addressed by breast augmentation.  It appears from the picture that a superior periareolar incision was used for your surgery.  Unless areolar tissue was removed at the time of the surgery, this is simply a pre-existing asymmetry that is more evident after the surgery.  Another contributing factor to areolar asymmetries is the level of contraction of the areola itself.  This can differ greatly at any point in time resulting in a worsening asymmetry.  I would recommend waiting 3 months to allow all of the tissues to recovery from the surgery before judging the final result.

Asymmetrical areolas after surgery

Hello,  thank you for your question and photos.  No,  unfortunately it's not normal.   The areolas were asymmetrical before surgery and will remain more asymmetrical after the breast augmentation surgery if they are not reduced to the same size.  You'll need a revision of your areolas to reduce your areolas to 38 mm. Have a great day.

Derby Sang Caputo, MD

Different areolas sizes

It's difficult to tell from a postop photograph without a preoperative photograph if there is some degree of asymmetry to begin with. It looks to me like a crescent mastopexy was done on both sides and that the right side probably was lower to begin with and, therefore, needed to be lifted further to match the left. In those cases, there will always be some stretching of the areola in a vertical direction to accommodate this difference, as the skin of the crescent cannot pull up the breast below. As things loosen up, and your swelling subsides it may become slightly better. Best of luck.

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS

Give it Time

Thank you for your question and photo. I echo the sentiments of my colleagues; wait until the swelling subsides to see your final result. I would anticipate this taking about 4-6 months. Meanwhile, be in communication with your post-operative nurse and/or BCPS. This way your concern can be documented early on if it is something you care to address after the swelling subsides. Best of luck.

Breast augmentation recovery

You are still very early in the healing process.  Your breasts are still swollen.  You can expect that your breasts will continue to change over the next several weeks.  Final results are best evaluated 3-6 months after surgery.  I encourage you to discuss your concerns with your surgeon and to keep all follow up appointments.

Camille Cash, MD

Areolas to be different sizes after surgery

Thank you for your question. If you have different size areolae before surgery, you will continue to show the difference after breast implants alone. Right now you are in healing phase and swelling. Your breasts will continue to change in the next coming few weeks and follow instructions from your PS and reevaluate in 3 months.

Areola size after surgery

Thank you for your questions and photographs.  I always recommend waiting a full 4-5 months before evaluating a final result.  During this time, one has to account for some possible swelling of the tissues.  I wish you good luck.

Different sized areolas

Thank you for your question and the photo.I am sorry to hear that you are upset with the results of your surgery so far.At 3 weeks you are still in the early stages of your recovery. Continue to follow the post operative instructions that were given to you by your plastic surgeon. Things can change over the oncoming weeks, if you are still unhappy then arrange to see your plastic surgeon.Good luck

Chien C. Kat, FRCS
Birmingham Plastic Surgeon

Uneven areolas

Thank you for your question and photograph.The size may go down slightly as the swelling continues to resolve but if one was naturally bigger preoperatively then I would recommend consulting with your surgeon or another board certified plastic surgeon on having an areola reduction performed. During an areola reduction the incision is made around the areola and after the incision is made, tissue will be removed to achieve the desired size and circumference. I hope this helps.
Best of luck in your recovery!

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS, International Federation for Adipose Therapeutics & Science

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon