Chemical peels, microdermabrasion, IPL? 21yo female.

I'm a 21 year old female who has decided it's time to start looking after my skin. I live on the beach and my skin has started looking dull and probably a lot older than it should. I'm started to develop fine lines and my skin has become slightly bumpy and uneven in tone and texture. I've been looking into a number of different treatments, however I'm unsure what would be the best option for me to achieve the best results. Please help me!

Thanks for your query. Microdermabrasion and chemical peels area great option to tackle photo damage skin. This will improve the uneven skin tone, fine lines and improves the texture as well. Sunblock is something which is absolutely necessary for you and you should never step out without it. Hope It helps.

All The Best

India Plastic Surgeon

Chemical Peel

Thank you for your question. A lower level chemical peel with low irritation may be the best fit as you are a younger candidate approaching chemical peel for the first time. As you move forward in consulting in person with a board certified facial plastic surgeon, please follow the guidelines in this video to take better care of your skin. Best wishes,

Ross A. Clevens, MD
Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

Keeping the skin rejuvenated is the key to anti-aging!

Hello Shlebyd, Thank you for your question. That is great that you are wanting to take care of your skin. I feel it is a combination of products and treatments. So I recommend starting a good skin care regimen at home. ZO Skin Health is a great skin care line that corrects, stimulates and protects your skin. Consult with a ZO professional to get started on the right products for your skin. Chemical peels are a great way to stimulate, exfoliate and to keep your skin looking bright and healthy. ZO 3 Step Stimualation Peel, VI Peel,Perfect Derma Peel, RevePeel are all great medium grade chemical peels. IPL's are great for sun damage and hyperpigmentation, to even out your skin tone. Microdermabrasions are a great way to maintain healthy skin. Set up a consultation with your skin care professional so they can assess your skin and recommend the right products and get you started on the recommended treatment plan. Best of luck! Dr Faraz

Skin rejuvenation options for patients in their twenties

Patients with dull or sun damaged skin in their twenties can definitely benefit from prevention, correction and protection treatments such as microdermabrasion or chemical peels.  At our practice, I recommend chemical peels and/or microdermabrasion depending on the amount of skin damage, sensitivity or downtime the patient has.Microdermabrasion is can be done in a series one every two to three weeks for best results or as a quick fix for softer, smoother skin or special events. There is very little downtime and the skin feels refreshed, clean and bright.  For deeper exfoliation our medical aesthetician can adjust the treatment based on the skin type, thickness and goals of the patient. Microdermabrasion is also a great maintenance treatment to do once a month to keep skin free of acne breakouts, clogged pores and dullness.  Great for all skin types in any weather.
There are so many great options for chemical peels which range from light, lunchtime or express peels to deeper peels for more intense correction.  Glycolic acid, lactic acid peels, or the Skin Medica Illuminize Peel for starter patients or patients busy on the go to brighten, tighten and soften the skin.  The Skin Medica Vitalize Peel is one of our most popular peels and is perfect for sun damage, melasma, lines, wrinkles, acne and acne scars.  Best done in a series of three peels, one every three weeks the Vitalize Peel refines the skin's texture and tone and creates an even palette.  There is very little discomfort or downtime with this medium depth peel, maybe just a few days.Options for deep peels consist of TCA in various strengths and the VI Peel.  Customizing our peels and their special attributes is very important and based on the patient's goals. The VI Peel has an option for sun damage called "Precision Plus' which helps the appearance of brown spots, melasma and other pigmentation issues.Finding a licensed practitioner through referrals that listens and pays attention to your unique skin is key. Hope this helps.  Good luck.

David Shafer, MD

Treatment Plan

IPL is a good treatment to reduce visible pigments or redness in the face. When the pigment is gone then your face looks brighter and more youthful. If you want a routine  to change the texture of your skin, then you can seek a series of chemical peels, spaced once a month. If you have acne scarring then you would need a more aggressive treatment with lasers. A in person consultation would be best to discuss the treatment plan for your skin.

Robert G. Aycock, MD
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon