What if one side is higher?

I am 35 and I had a lift and augmentation two weeks ago. My right side is significantly higher then my left. Will it fall into place?

Breast Aug

It is not unusual for the implants to descend at different rates during the first few weeks post op. Usually by 4 weeks they have settled into position. If your asymmetry persists at this point your surgeon may discuss adjusting your pocket. Good luck with your recovery.

Montreal Plastic Surgeon

Lift and implants 2 weeks ago

If your surgery was just a  few weeks ago the implants could still even out.  Sometimes an elastic strap or bandeau can be worn so there is more pressure on the higher implant, to help push it down.  Keep your plastic surgeon informed about any concerns.

One is higher...

Hello and thanks for your question. It is common for breast implants to drop at different rates and for one to be higher than the other soon after surgery. There are techniques to allow them to drop more efficiently and you can ask your PS about those at your next visit. Best, Dr. ALDO.

Aldo Guerra, MD

Breast Augmentation Post Op Healing

Generally speaking yes it should drop over 3-6 months. Because there are no pictures to evaluate I have no idea if prior to surgery you had asymmetry that may not have been pointed out to you or not. More often than not patients are asymmetric to begin with and when you have a lift and implants those asymmetries are more noticeable.

Richard J. Brown, MD

Breast implant asymmetry

Not infrequently, breast implants settle at different rates in the immediate postop period. Your surgeon will direct you what to do and what specifically in your surgery might be contributing do this situation. You can try a four inch ace bandage or bandeua and first wrap both breast with the material on top of your breasts. Then, pull the material down under the breast that is currently lower and keep the material above the higher breast. There are also breast implant 'massaging' exercises that can help, but ask your surgeon about these.

Good luck. 

Mark Anton, MD, FACS
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

One implant higher 2 weeks after surgery

Thank you for asking about your breast augmentation.

Yes - the implant is very likely to settle in place.
  • The under-muscle implants do not settle at the same time.
  • If one has settled in place - that is early.
  • Give the other implant time to catch up.
  • Let your surgeon know your concerns so you can follow the improvement together.

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon
Hope you found this answer helpful. Best wishes.

Breast Asymmetry after Augmentation Mastopexy

It is always difficult to evaluate without a good exam, however given that you are very early in the postoperative phase you have to be patient.  The only urgent issue that needs to be ruled out right now is to make sure that there is not any blood (hematoma) on that right side.  Most of the other reasons may simply need more time, approximately 4 months.  By 4 months time the implants should have dropped and settled into the proper position. 

The fact that you stated "significantly" I would be a bit more concerned and recommend you discuss this with your plastic surgeon as soon as possible if you have not yet.

Hope that helps.  Good luck.

Farbod Esmailian, MD

What if one side is higher?

Thank you for your question. At 2 weeks it is common for one implant to be higher than the other. Speak with your plastic surgeon to discuss methods to help the implants settle. 

Martin Jugenburg, MD

What if one side is higher?

I'm sorry you are having this issue.  Sometimes one side can be higher in the early post operative period due to muscle spasm.  I would definitely recommend reporting this to your surgeon, as some measures can help to stretch the pocket for better symmetry, but this should be done sooner rather than later. One measure is using the breast strap or bandeau.  Good luck!

Amy T. Bandy, DO, FACS
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Too soon to tell

Hi.... thank you for the question....... without a photo is very hard to help you in your specific case, and two weeks is too soon, swollen still present.... 

Luis A. Mejia, MD