Best Way to Balance and Or/add Volume to One Side of Chin? (photo)

My chin was injured years ago and this resulted in the right corner of my chin being more prominent (the bone sticks out more). I want to make my face more symmetrical and think this would really help but I want to keep the heart shape in my face and not end up with a Jay Leno chin. Should I do a filler or do they make partial chin implants? Or do I need to go the other direction and have the right side reduced?

Doctor Answers 4

Best Way to Balance and Or/add Volume to One Side of Chin?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

You could go with one of several options to correct your asymmetry, and in my practice I have used fillers, which as you most likely know only last 6 to 9 months, or autologous fat grafting, with fat being aspirated from your thigh, abdomen or buttocks.  Injected fat will last longer than fillers, and I have, in some instances, had the fat last up to 5 or 6 years.  A Silastic chin implant can be shaped to fit also.  Your best bet is to sit with your surgeon, who will explain your options, and give you the pros and cons of each procedure. 

Jonathan Ross Berman, M.D. , F.A.C.S.

A well-performed Injectable Filler treatment may lead to improved symmetry of your chin.

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

I read your concerns and reviewed your photos:

I see that your right chin is lower, and more prominent than your left. This is quite subtle. Adding a small amount of volume to the left side of your chin may be helpful for restoring symmetry. My personal preference is to use Silikon-1000, an off-label filler for permanent results.

I attached a photo demonstrating non-surgical chin enhancement.

Hope this is helpful for you.

Dr. Joseph

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 429 reviews

Fillers are great for improving facial and chin asymmetry

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

I would highly recommend trying facial fillers.  Your asymmetry, while definite, is slight.  It should be fairly straight forward to bring some symmetry to your face with fillers.  If you aren't sure, you can ask your doctor to inject saline as a test or trial run. 

You can inject almost any of the fillers here, Restylane, Juvederm, Radiesse, or Artefill.  Some are thicker and last longer, some are more reversible.  Find a doctor who does a lot of fillers and discuss the options.

Good luck in your search for information!

Add volume to the chin

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Fillers are a great way to add volume to slight asymmetry of the chin. For your best option on the results you hope to achieve, it is best to sit with your surgeon to discuss pros/cons of procedures.



These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.