Telogen effluvium after starting low carb diet?

I started eating around 20 grams of carbs a day for over 3 months now. I eat a lot of protein and a ton of veggies. I've lost Aprox 15 pounds and I've never felt better. But then a month ago my hair started falling out by the handful. My Labs are normal, just a little vitamin D deficient. Im Taking a multi vitamin, biotin, and vitamin D daily. Bumped up to 50 carbs a day. Do I have to go back to eating carbs in order for it to stop? Or will it stop on its own if I just wait it out?

Diet and TE

Telogen Effluvium can be triggered by almost anything, possibly diet, bht that would be highly unusual unless you did not take in adequate calories daily

Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Low carb diets

Hard to say without knowing more and seeing the scalp up close.

Protein rich + micronutrient rich diets whereby weight loss is slow don't typically trigger much hair loss.

But it does sound like a telogen effluvium is possible of which other causes besides diet need to be considered including

1. stress
  2. medications started or stopped
  3. seasonal shedding 
  4. early genetic hair loss
  5. dietary

Increasing carbs would not be the way to go. Ensuring ferritin above 40. TSH 0.5 to 3.0. See a dermatologist if it continues beyond 6 months would be a very good overall strategy.