Planning future Breast Augmentation in approx 1 year. How soon should I begin consult?

Hi, I am a college student saving up for a BA. I plan on getting a BA in approx 1 year. I plan on going to LA/Beverly Hills area and live 2 hours north. Note: sadly, driving to LA is not very convenient for me. How soon should I begin consulting with doctors for my future BA? Thank you

Breast Augmentation Research

It's never too early to start gathering your research. I would suggest that you schedule consultations with a few board certified plastic surgeons in LA. You can even do them all on one day to reduce any back and forth driving. Before going in for an in person meeting, go to each doctors website and look at their before & after photos to make sure that his or her aesthetic is in line with your own. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the question.
When it comes to planning your surgery, I always recommend starting the research sooner rather than later.
In regards to outcome of the planned procedure, the most important thing will be the careful selection of your plastic surgeon. I would suggest starting with the American Society of Plastic Surgery and/or the Aesthetic Society of Plastic Surgery to obtain a list of well experienced board-certified plastic surgeons.
Then, I would suggest you visit a few surgeons whose practices concentrate on aesthetic surgery. Ask to see lots of examples of their work and preferably speak/see patients who have had similar procedures done.  
Be very careful with your decision-making. You will find, while doing your due diligence, that there are many different “specialties” who will offer their services to you; again, I strongly recommend you concentrate on surgeons certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery.
You may find the attached link helpful as you learn more. Best wishes.

Timing

I would suggest you schedule your initial consultations 2-3 months before you plan to have your surgery.  Please visit with a board certified PS to learn more about your options.

Dr. Basu
Houston, TX

Thank you for your question.  You can actually start the consultation process whenever you are ready, but I recommend having your initial consultation approximately 2-3 months prior to when you are wanting your surgery.  However, depending on your schedule and travel, you can have your consultation as soon as 6 months prior to your surgery.  

I have actually put together a free breast augmentation planner for women such as yourself looking to have a breast augmentation and looking for informaiton, references, and guidance on the process.  If you would like to download your free copy, you can go to ABetterBreast.com.  I think it would be very helpful to you!

Best of luck. 

Richard H. Fryer, MD
Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon

When to start your consult process

Thank you for your question.  I always recommend starting the consultation process earlier than later.   We prefer to have time on our side to educate our patients and assess their expectations and goals.     It also allows you to plan your surgery at your convenience without as many time constraints.   All the best.

Paul S. Gill, MD

Plastic surgery consultations

Your question is excellent and shows that you are approaching this in a thoughtful manner.  If you are traveling for your consultation, it can certainly be less convenient.  I recommend spending some time online and looking at the websites of some of the doctors that you are considering- make sure that they are providing you with the kind of information that you feel comfortable with.  Write down some questions that will arise from this exercise, and see if your further research helps answer those, while it may cause you to come up with others.
Next I would call the offices and discuss your situation with the doctor's patent coordinator- they can often give you a sense of how the doctor and the process works, and often a lot of logistical questions can be answered that way. 
Through those steps, you should be able to select one or more doctors that you want to start consulting with.  Many plastic surgeons such as myself have patients travel from much farther than 2 hours to see them, and so we offer virtual or phone consultations to generally discuss your individual situation.  You can check with the doctors you are looking at to see if that can be arranged as well.  The most important thing is to find a surgeon that you are comfortable with, and who's results are commensurate with the type of outcome you are looking for.  Good luck and congratulations on planning ahead!

Planning your breast augmentation

It is admirable that you are taking this process seriously and planning your steps over the upcoming year. I would recommend taking some time to research various board-certified plastic surgeons as well as spending some time really getting a firm grasp on what type of outcome you are striving for.  This is best done by looking at frontview, topless photos online or in magazines of sizes and shapes of breasts that appeal to you. Look at cleavage, cup size, upper breast fullness, and side boob. Breast aesthetics is very individual and personal.
Once you have done these two things start setting up consultations 3-4 months in advance of your desired surgery date. Pick an office and surgeon who inspires confidence, safety and a vibe you feel comfortable with. I hope this information helps!

Thomas Taylor, MD, FACS
Pasadena, CA

Breast augmentation

I appreciate your question.
Usual schedule time is 3-6 months from consultation.
I would work backwards from when you can have a few weeks off and then go from there.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.
Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery.

best of luck!

Dr Schwartz

Breast Enlargement Consultation

Thanks for your question.  It's always good to plan in advance and there is no correct answer.  Most of my surgery patients consult approximately 3-6 months before their procedure.  Occasionally a patient discovers that they have "off" time and will come in only a few weeks in advance.  Give yourself enough time to be certain that you are comfortable with your choice of ABPS certified plastic surgeons.  Best wishes and good luck on your journey!

Jon A. Perlman, MD

Look at board certification

Start by checking board certification. The american board of Plastic Surgery with certify that a surgeon is "above board." This is a great place to start. Next, try to find a surgeon who can provide 3D simulation. This allows you to see what diferent shapes and sizes of implants look like on you. Finaly, choose a surgeon not based on their address, but on their bedside manner. In short, like anything else, choose a practitioner who is compotent,caring, and consistent!

Stephan Finical, MD
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon