Will my nipples settle after my breast augmentation? (Photo)

It's very obvious my left nipple is higher than my right. I'm about to be 7 weeks post op. I haven't been able to follow up with my surgeon as he's 2 and a half hours away. When I look in the mirror they don't look this bad, but when I took a picture it's so obvious! Will this fix itself after they settle more? I'm happy with my implants and size but not this :(

Will my nipples settle after my breast augmentation?

You should know that everyone is asymmetric to a degree. You vey well may have been that way before surgery and never noticed it. When you have implants placed you can unmask or augment asymmetry that existed before and if your surgeon did not alert you to this before surgery then it seems like a surprise now. The implants look pretty good. It will likely not correct to the point that they are even because most patients are not even. Go back and look at your before pictures and see if you can see this in those photos. 

Nipples at different levels after breast augmentation

Thank you for asking about your breast augmentation.

• Things will continue to improve and settle as more time passes.
  • You may well have had asymmetric nipple before surgery and never noticed -
  • Our breasts are never symmetric.
  • Since your surgeon is too far away to see, I suggest you also send him the same photos and ask his opinion.

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Nipple postion after breast augmentation

Thank you for your question and for attaching a photo. A pre-op photo would be extremely helpful in this case. This is because many patients start examining their breasts in a lot more detail after a breast augmentation so they start to notice asymmetry they didn't notice before. It could be possible that your nipples were not perfectly even to start and it is possible your infra-mammary folds were perfectly even to start. This would cause a post-op result that is slightly asymmetric. It is also possible your implant still needs time to settle. You are still in your post-op period so you are still healing, but you should return for a post-op visit and address these concerns with your surgeon. Good luck.

Thank you for your question and photo.  Hard to say for sure since there are no pre-op photo's, most likely the reason your right nipple is lower is because the implant on that side hasn't settled in the pocket yet.  

Chad Robbins, MD

Nipples Settle After Breast Augmentation?

This appears to be a case of studying your breasts more after your breast augmentation than before. It happens all the time. The breasts are sisters, not twins.  To give you a more precise assessment and accurate advice, both arms need to be symmetric/down by your sides in your photos. Right now, one arm is up taking the photo. Consider reviewing your "before" photos. You'll likely see the same asymmetry as you have now, just less noticeable because your breasts are not sticking out from your chest as they are now post breast augmentation. Any asymmetry present before breast augmentation becomes much more noticeable after. Share your concerns with your plastic surgeon. Maybe have his/her office send you your "before" photos so you can compare. There's nothing to be done surgically anyway for 6 months after your breast augmentation till things settle, so don't worry yourself. Enjoy what you have for now!

Millicent Odunze-Geers, MD, MPH
Sacramento Physician

Asymmetric Implants

It appears as though your left implant has settled a bit too low. I recommend that you make the trip to see your Plastic Surgeon in person for an exam and discussion of your concerns.

All the best 

Breast Asymmetry

Unfortunately, this is due to implant position asymmetry, with the implant under the higher nipple sitting too low. This will not improve with time. There is nothing to do at the moment however, but follow up with your surgeon.  If he is not an ABPS certified/ASAPS member who specializes in revision breast surgery, you should get some second opinions with a few. 

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

Nipple size

It is very early and things will settle a lot more - one breast can be tighter and firmer with more muscle spasm which can make one nipple sit higher

You should also check pre op photos see if the left breast or left nipple sat higher as many women have some degree of this prior to surgery due to chest wall asymmetry

Nipple Placement After Augmentation

Women with asymmetric or enlarged nipples or areolae (pigmented areas around nipples) may be candidates for a breast lift or a modification of a lift. #Asymmetric breast can be adjusted by adding or removing volume.  One side can be tightened more or less than another.

Considering the amount of time needed for the nipple/areola to settle into place after surgery you may still be in the process of healing. Always contact your plastic surgeon if you have concerns about post-operative infection, bleeding, swelling, fever, excessive bruising, or any new and sudden changes in the feeling or look of your implants, breasts or incisions.

Any of the following may be post-op difficulties, about which it is best to contact your surgeon directly:

·       Excessive bleeding (hematoma) and bruising

·       Reduced sensation of #nipple

·       Deflation/rupture

·       Capsular contracture

·       Wrinkling/rippling. Palpable and/or visible

·       Firmness, and distorted appearance

·       Interference with breast feeding

·       Mammogram interference

·       Cost for revision surgery if necessary

·       Calcium deposits in the tissue around the implant

·       Breast tissue atrophy/chest wall deformity

·       Hypertrophic scarring

·       Tissue loss

·       Infection requiring antibiotics or implant removal

Breast Augmentation/Breast Implants/Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/ Silicone Implants/Breast Implant Revision

I appreciate your question.

Right now, you are very early on in the post op recovery period. It will take 3-6 months for you to feel comfortable having implants in your body and for them to settle. This time allows for you to physically and psychologically adapt to your new body image. There are many variables that contribute to a breast augmentation's final result. Preop size and shape, IMF location, location of the implants and type of implant. Patients heal at different rates and each breast will sometimes heal at a different rate. Rest, relax, recover and heal. Please Express your concerns to your surgeon so he/she can examine you at this time. Then reassess final result at 6 months.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.

Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

#RealSelf100Surgeon

#RealSelfCORESurgeon