Will my nipples remain hard if I was to get implants? (Photo)

Will my nipples remain hard if I was to get implants?

In general, nipples can be a bit firmer immediately following surgery. There is often some swelling in the skin and this contributes to. Usually, the firmness of the nipple returns to the preoperative state. There may or may not be changes to the diameter of your areola depending on the quality of your skin.

Hi and thanks for your question. Your nipples may be more prominent and project more following breast augmentation but that is difficult to predict. My best advice is to see a board certified plastic surgeon who can examine you and answer all your questions. Best of luck!

Richard Chaffoo, MD, FACS

Nipples after implants

Thank you for your question and photos.  Some patients experience nipple stretching and decreased nipple sensitivity that commonly returns with time.  If there is no permanent nerve damage, you nipples will most likely be hard as they are now after your breast augmentation.

Dr. Results
Miami, FL

The true nipples will not change, but the contraction of the muscles in the areola that act when cold or otherwise stimulated may be lost if there is nerve damage during the procedure. It is uncommon but does happen sometimes.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Nipples hard after augmentation

Nipples after augmentation not a routine complaint. Some nipples actually stretch and get less projected.

Arian Mowlavi, MD

Should not effect them lomgterm

While larger implants stretch the skin and may stretch the areola, the sensation, which causes muscle contraction and hardening of the nipples may vary from hypersensitivity to lack of sensitivity after surgery but should return to normal within 6 months to a year.

Wesley G. Schooler, MD
Santa Barbara Plastic Surgeon

Changes to nipples after augmentation

Typically your nipples ability to contract as well as sensation will return to baseline by a year, but usually even sooner. Long term erect nipples is not a common complaint. However if yours are sensitive or always hard now then they're likely to do so afterwards meaning implants won't fix that.