I had a tummy tuck on September 2nd and its opening? (Photos)

I had a tummy tuck with hernia removal on September 2nd and I have had drainage as well as my scar opening up I'm not sure if this is normal but it's been like this this week 3! I have extreme swelling and I still have quite a bit of drainage that leaks out is this the reason why it's opening?

Tummy tuck wound opening

The swelling and drainage could be a sign of a seroma (fluid accumulation under the skin).  Most wounds will heal on their own, but you should be evaluated by your surgeon.  

Wound Healing after Abdominoplasty

Your photos indicate wound dehiscence and underlying necrotic fat.  You may also have a seroma, producing fluid that is putting pressure on your tissues.  You will need to be evaluated by your surgeon, who should begin the process of removing dead tissue to speed the healing process. Best of luck!

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

Abdominal dehiscence after abdominoplasty

Abdominal dehiscence(separation) is frequently the outward manifestation of another problem. Frequently it is the earliest manifestation of a fluid collection (seroma) or inadequate blood supply to the area (ischemia). Either way, one should see their board certified plastic surgeon urgently. It will need to be debrided, at the very least, and likely require delayed healing/revision, after which, it can still be an attractive result .

Scar Draining at Week 3 Post-Op

It may take several months for a tummy tuck patient’s scars to soften, for sensation to return, and for relaxing of the tight sensation in the abdomen. In the case of extensive surgery, abdominoplasty recovery can be uncomfortable and may take longer. Scars may stay red, become thick or widen. It can take 12-18 months for the scars to settle.

These can be improved with topical treatments such as BioCorneum, Scar Guard, Scar Fade and Mederma. Redness can be improved with laser treatments and the scars can be kept narrow with products such as Embrace.  On occasion, keloids or hypertrophic scars can develop and will need treatment including Kenalog, 5FU and laser.

Now, with the drainage you are experiencing there is a chance there is an infection that would need to be examined by your surgeon. Your surgeon would be the one to examine the area and prescribe antibiotics as needed. It would be best to have the appointment right away because infections need to be taken care of immediately. Good luck!

Opening wounds a month after surgery

are not normal and you should be calling your surgeon soon after you posted this question.  You will need office debridement of exposed fat that appears compromised.  You will heal from this but you do need TLC and repeated visits to facilitate the process.  Your surgeon has the benefit of examining you to determine if this is more than just a simple wound issue.

Curtis Wong, MD

Wound separation

Thank you for the photo and sorry got the complication that you are having.  That said see your surgeon or other wound expert in the area and get it managed ASAP

Dr Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD

Open wound

The wound dehiscence can happen after tummy tuck surgery.  It is imperative that you follow up closely with your surgeon for wound care and management instructions.

Hope this helps.

Dr. Ali Mosharrafa

Ali Mosharrafa, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

I had a tummy tuck on September 2nd and its opening?

Dear Alicia

Wound dehiscence (opening) after a tummytuck is unfortunate but importantly will often heal well on its own with local wound care. In your case, the concern is the drainage and its persistence. You might have a seroma. More important is to make sure that if your surgeon used a mesh for your hernia repair, the mesh is not infected. You should follow your surgeons instructions carefully.

For abdominoplasty, always makes sure your surgeon is a properly trained plastic surgeon, certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery, see more than one consult and make a well informed decision.

Afshin Parhiscar, MD
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon