I had a Rhinoplasty done 6 days ago and started to laugh really hard yesterday. Does it affect any results ? (photos)

& will the stiches dissolve or are they taken out on my next visit ? also had dry blood around my nostrils how can I clean that area with out getting it wet?

Laughing after rhinoplasty

Good question. Laughing and smiling would not affect the final result of your rhinoplasty. At the time of your next visit for cast removal, ask your surgeon about the activities that you can do. Good luck healing.

Laughing

Laughing should not affect your result and dried blood on your stitch area in very common and as you are 6 days post op you should be getting them out soon so tell your surgeon your concerns.

Dr. Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD

Laughing to hard after Rhinoplasty

Thank you for your question!  I agree, after 6 days post Rhinoplasty, you are still swollen.  We advice our patients to sleep on a couple pillows at night to keep your head elevated and not to bend over creating any pressure in your head.  Swelling can last up to a year of total time to heal.  Most patient's see significant swelling reduction in the first month. 

We recommend our patients to use q-tips moistened with distilled water to clean around the outside edges of the nostrils. We sometimes recommend Saline nose drops to help loosen debris inside the nostrils as well. 

Sutures are usually placed inside the nostrils which dissolve, with an open Rhinoplasty the sutures between the nostrils on the outside are usually removed within a week or two. 

Robert Shumway, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Early rhinoplasty post op, some advices:

Thank you very much for enquire.
It's too early to make value judgments with only six days after a rhinoplasty.
Swelling after a rhinoplasty depends of the surgery complexity.
In this regard, the nasal swelling Post-op It can last from two weeks to two months.
To reduce this swelling, I recommend you perform delicates daily lymphatic drainage massage therapy over the face (around the nose) avoid sun exposure, and take pain/inflamation pills, as your surgeron precribe you.
Kind regards,
Dr. Emmanuel Mallol Cotes.-

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

I had a Rhinoplasty done 6 days ago and started to laugh really hard yesterday. Does it affect any results ?

You should not have detrimentallly affected your result by laughing but I always advise my patients to avoid extreme facial expressions after facial surgery.  There are internal sutures which will dissolve on their own and external sutures will be removed by your surgeon.  Contact your surgeon regarding his/her advice on how to clean your skin.  They may advise you to wait until your next visit.  If unsure, always check with your surgeon directly for the recommendations that pertain to you specifically.

Michael Brucker, MD