I got a breast lift w/ implants (550ccs) 2 months ago. I thought the dark area along the vertical incision was a bruise. (photo)

The dark area isn't going away! What is it and can it be fixed? I don't have an appointment until next month. I thought it was a bruise and my surgeon never mentioned it. It's obvious now that it's not a bruise.

I got a breast lift w/ implants (550ccs) 2 months ago. I thought the dark area along the vertical incision was a bruise.

Hello dear, thanks for your question and provided information as well…
I have to say that you are still early on healing process, it is too soon to determine how your results are going to be, per now, they look very nice and beautiful, you can have one bigger than the other, it is normal and that can happen for the first 3 months until your implants have settle in. I recommend you to wait and keep using your post surgical bra, that will help you with the shape and support. Hugs!

Dark area after mastopexy is retained areola

as mentioned by the other surgeons.  Allow your skin to relax again and maybe it could be removed with a revision.

Curtis Wong, MD

Dark spot on breast after lift

Thank you for your question and photos.  This is not an uncommon finding in patients who have a relatively large areola.  If the areola is sufficiently large, at times it can be difficult to remove all the pigment.  There are options for removing/revising the area.  Discuss your options with your surgeon.  Best wishes.

Brian C. Reuben, MD
Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon

Pigment in mastopexy

From the photos you have included, it appears that the pigment maybe that of a large areola that was present preoperatively. Your shape and outcome thus far look fantastic. Ask your plastic surgeon when and if a revision to remove that pigmented skin could be done. Good luck.

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS

Dark pigment

Thank you for the photos and though an examination is needed I agree with the other consultants that it may be retained areola pigment but ask your surgeon

Dr Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD

Retained areola

This looks like some of your areolar pigmented skin that wasn't removed during the lift. Ask your surgeon about revision after full healing.

Darkness along the incision

This can happen in Breast lift or Reductions, it has to do with the size of your nipple prior to the procedure.  If your nipple was wide, it can sometimes have residual pigmentation left over after the lift/reduction is done.  There is nothing wrong with how things are healing, this actually is pretty common with larger breasts/areolas.  At this point in time, you just need to let everything heal.  Once everything is healed, usually 3-4 months after the procedure you could do a couple things to remove the pigmentation.  The first option is trying a laser to remove the pigmentation.  The second option would be to do an excision (removal of the skin that is pigmented), which can be done in the office with local anesthesia.

The best thing to do is wait until you see your PS and they will let you know how to proceed.

Francis Johns, MD
Greensburg Plastic Surgeon