I am 20 years old. I have these fine lines under my eyes that I have had since birth, will fillers or Botox help? (photo)

I have these herditary lines under my eyes that I have had since birth. They look horrible when I smile because the line on my left eye and right eye are differently shaped. They make me feel self conscious. I've tried eye masks and retinol under neath my eye and it works for a day then they come back. Wil Botox or fillers work?

Fine lines under eyes

The reason you get these is a combination of thin skin (hereditary and gets thinner with age) as well as strong muscles (also hereditary, but does not get stronger with age). Because you are so young, I would suggest Botox very carefully placed in the side of your lower eyelids to try to weaken the muscle a bit. Retinol and eye masks will thicken the skin in the area over long term use so sticking with it is not a bad idea. 
Please be aware that Botox in the area needs to be injected by someone experienced with this. This is not like treating crows feet or the frown lines. A little too much Botox in that area could leave you miserable for the next 2-3 months. See a board certified plastic surgeon who is well versed in eyelid function. 

Pasadena Plastic Surgeon

Fine line below eyes

Thank you for your question. Fine lines can happen at any time and no age is exempt. Obviously you are very young and the less done the better for your own benefit.

I would consider a small dose of Botox under the lower lid so as to relax the muscle which closes your eyes. This muscle is called the orbicularis and is also responsible for the crow's feet which occur at the corner of the eye at a later stage in life.

This must be done carefully by a trained plastic surgeon as anything around the eyelid needs a lot of expertise and experience.

If this improves matter than you may consider having this done every 4-6months as the effect of any neurotoxin (like Botox/Dysport etc) will wear off.

It is critical to look at sunscreen application and skin care to maintain and improve you skin. Starting early will benefit you in the longer term.

I hope this is helpful in addressing your issues.

Sanjay Azad, MS, FRCSEd
Thunder Bay Plastic Surgeon

BOTOX® or injectable fillers may be great solutions for you.

Thanks for your question. Judging by your photos, BOTOX® could be a good solution for getting rid of the lines beneath your eyes. BOTOX® works by inhibiting muscle contractions in the treated area, which in turn, give the skin a smooth look. Injectable fillers could also work to minimize your fine lines. Injectable fillers work beneath the skin to mimic your body’s natural collagen, gradually smoothing your skin and reducing the appearance of lines and wrinkles. Note that both BOTOX® and injectable fillers provide temporary results, so repeat treatments will be necessary to maintain your results.

Gordon Andan, MD
New York General Surgeon

BOTOX Will Relax Those Muscles

Those lines are caused by strong hereditary facial muscles under the eyes. BOTOX injections will relax the muscle and cause the lines to fade. Remember, though, that the effects of BOTOX will last about 3 months, so it's important to keep your expectations for results within that frame of reference. I would suggest speaking with a board-certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon to develop a treatment plan for lasting results. If you want a longer-lasting solution, you may be a better candidate for a lower lid blepharoplasty, better known as eyelid surgery. Best of luck to you!

Susan M. Stuart, MD
San Diego Dermatologist

Lines Under Eyes

It is difficult to determine if Botox is right for you without a full assessment. Botox may assist reducing the lines under your eyes. 

I'd recommend booking a consultation with a skilled and qualified injector to discuss your options.

Take care.

Jerome Edelstein, MD

Fine Lines under the eyes

Thank you for your question. Botox can be used to treat the lines under your eyes. It’s best to schedule a full in-person consultation so that a qualified physician can better assess the treatment area.

Bruce E. Katz, MD

I am 20 years old. I have these fine lines under my eyes that I have had since birth, will fillers or Botox help?

Thank you for your question. Based on your photos and your description, botox may benefit your situation as it will relax these muscles. However, I would see a board certified plastic surgeon for the injections as it requires a high level of expertise. 

Regards, 

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Botox for Lines around the Eyes

A combination of Botox and eMatrix with the special piece around the eyes will help in smoothing out this delicate area.  Please consult an expert.  Best, Dr. Green

Michele S. Green, MD

Botox under eyes for lines present since birth

Thank you for asking about your Botox.

• Yes - these lines are caused by attachment of the skin to the underlying muscle.
  • Botox will relax the muscle so the line softens or fades.
  • It usually needs to be redone every 3 months.
  • Please see a Board Certified plastic surgeon, oculoplastic surgeon or dermatologist only-
  • The injections are directly over the eye and need an understanding of eye anatomy that most injectors do not have. .
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Hope you find this information helpful. Best wishes.

Elizabeth Morgan, MD, PhD

Wrinkle options

Than you for your question.  Consider starting with some Botox since it is a quick procedure and the results will last about 3 months.  If that doesn't do the trick carefully placed HA fillers may be able to reduce the amount of lines that you see.  Consult with a board certified plastic surgeon to review your concerns.  Best of luck.

Jacob Bloom, MD