Going back and forth about having a breast augmentation. Should I go through with it?

Hi everyone, I am a 27 year old five foot two, 115 lb person with tiny 32As on my biggest days and a 32AA when I'm not. I'm having surgery this Friday and I'm starting to panic a little due to my worry about the recovery. I'm not a big fan of pain, and when I had my wisdom teeth removed, it was pretty bad. Does this mean I'm not ready for the surgery? Or am I just being a baby about the whole thing? I've done my research and I'm aware of the risks but at the same time I want to look/feel normal.

Going back and forth about having breast augmentation

Obviously, your decision is a very personal one. However it is normal to get butterflies shortly before your surgery. I hope by now you've had the surgery and are very happy with it. In general, if someone has a lot of doubts about elective surgery I suggest they wait until it is very clear in their mind that they want to move forward.

Most patients have the same anxieties before surgery that you expressed and are generally happy after they had the procedure. No one ever "needs" a breast augmentation. It is an elective procedure and only you can determine if the size of your breasts concern you enough to do something about improving the cosmetic appearance of your chest and whether it would worthwhile.

Keep in mind that following advice from a surgeon on this or any other website who proposes to tell you exactly what to do  without examining you, physically feeling your tissue, assessing your desired outcome, taking a full medical history and discussing the pros and cons of the operative procedure would not be in your best interest. Natural appearing results need to be individualized and what is appropriate for one patient is not necessarily the best for someone else. I would suggest that your surgeon be certified by the American Board of American Plastic Surgery and one who is ideally a member of The American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) that you trust and are comfortable with. You should discuss your concerns with that surgeon and the anesthesiologist.

If you are still ambivalent about undergoing the procedure , I would suggest that you not have the augmentation
until you are sure that you want to do it.

Robert Singer, M.D., FACS

La Jolla,California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Thanks for the question and almost all patients have similar thoughts prior to surgery. Of course there will be discomfort but your surgeon will give you adequate medication to alleviate that and after the first 3 days most patients have a very rapid improvement. Plus, you will love the results. 

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Normal

Your feelings and worries at the moment is normal, before surgery do speak to your surgeon about the pain and after recovery period.

Bulent Cihantimur, MD
Turkey Plastic Surgeon

Should I go through with it?

Thank you for your question. Many patients experience anxiety prior to their upcoming surgery. I think it would be best to address your pain concerns with your plastic surgeon to see if there are any changes that can be made, or just ask them to clarify to make sure you understand your post-op medications. In my experience, patients undergoing a breast augmentation tend to be less sore than they originally anticipated. If you are still having doubts about whether this procedure is right for you, I would recommend extending the surgery date to make sure that you are 100% committed to having your breasts done. Talk with your surgeon and express your concerns, ultimately it will be your decision whether or not a breast augmentation is best for you.

P. Craig Hobar, MD

Breast Augmentation - should I go through with it.

It is normal to a have anxiety. I would contact your PS and ask a few more question about what you are nervous about to calm your fears.  You will probably do great as you are young and healthy and you have done your research so you have a good idea about size and profile of your implant that will fit your body and give you the desired result. 

Robert Kearney, MD, FACS
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Anxiety or nervousness before surgery is completely normal. On the day of your breast augmentation, your anesthesiologist will give you medications that will calm your nerves and take away the fear of undergoing surgery. After surgery you will have pain medications to take the edge off of any postoperative discomfort that you may have. You'll get through it. Thank you for sharing your question and concerns. Best wishes.

Dr. Gregory Park

Gregory Park, MD

Breast augmentation

Breast augmentation surgery is an elective surgery, which means that it is voluntary. Unless all of your concerns have been addressed I would not perform a voluntary surgery. If your main concern is pain control talk to your surgeon about long acting numbing medications such as Exparel.

Arian Mowlavi, MD

Going back and forth about having a breast augmentation. Should I go through with it

breast augmentation is an elective cosmetic procedure and you should not have it done unless you are absolutely sure, There is no need to rush into it.

Julio Garcia, MD

Pre Op Concerns

Thank you for your question. This is a common one. Many women, like you- want fuller, beautiful breasts but they want to look proportionate and natural. Dimensional breast augmentation involves measuring your breasts carefully as well as assessing your existing breast tissue and skin. This information plus your description of the look that you are after will help your Plastic Surgeon to determine the breast implant sizes which will meet your goals. There will be a small range of breast implants which fit you the best and it is not possible to guess at what those are without an in-person exam. My patients find it helpful to try on the implant sizers with a form fitting T-Shirt in the office to get an idea of what they will look like.

Talk with your Plastic Surgeon about your pain concerns. There are effective ways to manage post op pain and many of my patients find that the actual discomfort after BA is far less than they expected.

I recommend that you seek a board certified Plastic Surgeon who's before and after photos appeal to you, then book your consultation.

All the best