3 stage breast revision? (Photo)

I've had my 550 implants for 10 yrs & hate them. So after several consults Next month I'm starting a 3 stage revision process. Stage 1 is removal of implant- in office. Stage 2 is lift with capsule work and anything else needed. Stage 3 is new implants. This will be done over 5-6 months time. I've had previous issues with my wounds opening during the healing stage. My question is is this a common thing to "stage"? I'll end up going 650-700 and is office local sedation ok??. Procedure cost 10,000

Staged Revision Information

Hello and thank you for your question. I am going to simply provide you a little information as to the way that I would stage an augmentation or revision. I usually prefer to do surgery in one stage.  A number of plastic surgeons prefer two operations. The mastopexy followed by implant surgery.  These procedures are usually staged at 2-3 months minimum to allow for swelling and healing to be at a reasonable point. My revision rate for one stage is less than 15%. Two stages is not necessary for at least 85% of the patients when performed by and experienced Plastic Surgeon, and considering the third stage that you have been quoted you may want to discuss this in detail with your surgeon to make sure what is needed from your revision procedures. Best of luck to you!

Revision Augmentation Mastopexy

Hello,For surgeons who don't specialize in these procedures, it is common to stage the procedures, however usually it's just two stages.  For ABPS certified and ASAPS member surgeons that have devoted their careers to revision breast surgery, this can be accomplished safely and reliably in one stage. Best of luck!

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

Thank you for the question and the photos and in my practice though I have not examined you what you are describing would be done in one sitting and not three.
Dr. Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD

3 stage breast revision?

I can't tell from your photos if you've had a previous uplift and had wound separation however I would generally plan a one stage procedure with full mastopexy to reduce skin, lift your breasts and replace similar or smaller (but not larger) sized implants.  My feeling is that your droopiness and implant dropout in part relates to the size of your implants and their weight and is likely to recur if you go to 650-700 cc implants.  You state that you hate your implants now and I'd like to avoid you hating them even more a couple of years after surgery.It's your choice of course but please discuss the risks of such large implants with your surgeon or get other opinions.  Best of luck to you and regards,Jon A Perlman MD FACS Certified, American Board of Plastic Surgery  Extreme Makeover Surgeon ABC TV Best of Los Angeles Award 2015, 2016  Beverly Hills, Ca

Jon A. Perlman, MD

Your surgeon is being cautious

but that many procedures are unlikely as you could easily have this done all at one time.  My recommendation would depend on how much heavy tissue you have and what you are willing to accept to achieve the most durable result.  Total costs are reasonable for re-augmentation mastopexy...

Curtis Wong, MD

Staged breast surgery

I have not heard of this either.  I would remove your implants and exchange for new gel implants and perform a wise pattern lift in one stage.  Best to go to a board certified plastic surgeon.   Not sure why they told you to stage it.

Andrew T. Cohen, MD

Three stages??

Never heard of three stages. Most likely a breast revision specialist can redo your breasts in a single stage under general anesthesia in a licensed surgery center. Best of luck 

Stuart A. Linder, MD, FACS

3 stage breast revision?

The surgery depends on the surgeon's preference. We do these procedures in one stage which includes capsule and skin modification +/- ADM inserts. 

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Do you have saline or silicone gel implants?

The options in our case can vary from surgeon to surgeon. I offer my patients one stage for implant replacement, lift revision and fat grafting with understanding that may need need revision but your case may be more complicated than what the picture shows. If you had infection it would be reasonable to leave implants out for three months. 

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

3 stage breast revision?

Thank you for the question and picture.  Sometimes (depending on the patient's history, physical examination, and goals)  staging of breast procedures may be a good idea.  Of course, different plastic surgeons will have differing opinions as to the best way to proceed;  in our practice, a two staged approach is occasionally utilized (three stages is rarely necessary) Key will be careful selection of plastic surgeon based on demonstrable experience achieving the types of outcomes you will be pleased with.  Careful communication of your goals will also be very important. Best wishes.