Dandruff? Scabs? Using VCO is it ok to remove? (Photos)

2 months post op..having dandruff like or scabs?like dirty white color formed in my scalp..i used virgin coconut oil and massage the scalp(slowly) then some long and short hair(recipient) fall off? Is it normal? As I used the vco also the whitish form also fall off and my scalp now is clear but i worry the hair that lost?what to expect or what should i do?thanks Ps: 2000 grafts (sept 2015) Additional grafts 500(sept 2016)

Dandruff, scabs or ? after hair transplant

Virgin coconut oil is not something we recommend after a hair transplant on a regular basis. Keeping the transplanted area moisturized may occasionally be needed after a hair transplant.   You should speak with the physician that did your transplant regarding their post op instructions.  We supply our patients with a special shampoo to use after surgery and if scabs remain beyond 4 days we have them leave the shampoo on the scalp a few minutes to soften the scabs then rinse.  See our website for full washing and after care instructions.  If you are still having flakiness now after 2 months, you might want to consider a dandruff shampoo.

Beverly Hills Hair Restoration Surgeon

It is best to ask your surgeon about post operative care. It is not normal to use olive oil or coconut oil after surgery.

It is best to ask your surgeon about post operative care.  It is not normal to use olive oil or coconut oil after surgery.

Jae Pak, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

2 months post op

It is normal for you to lose the transplanted hair shafts after surgery. If you are using virgin coconut oil you have to ensure that you are shampooing well as it can cause build up on your scalp. 

Rae Lynne Kinler, MD
Chicago Physician

Dandruff? Scabs?

I think you dont wash head properly..you have stil crust on your top of head, but it would be cleaned at end of second weeks. All scabs should be cleaned with well pressured  massage on transplant area .Dont forget that you may wash your head with normal pressure and if you need you can use a soapy wet towel for massage the scubby area, it Works very well to remove scubs and all those dirt.

Ilhan Serdaroglu, MD
Turkey Plastic Surgeon

Dandruff

I recommend the use of Head and Shoulders shampoo for dandruff after a hair transplants as it seems to work well

William Rassman, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon