Why around my areola healing different from the next? (Photos)

One of my areola look as if it drop, has scabs and has a tear drop shape. Is this cause by something i did. Can you tell me if this will ever be normal.

Breast Asymmetry After a Mommy Makeover

#Healing will continue for 2-3 months following your #Augmentation or #AugmentationMastopexy procedure. There may be some swelling, bruising, malposition, color differences. Sensation will be abnormal. Scars will also be changing.

But, it can be up to one year see your final result. Your doctor may require you to move or massage the implants within the breast pockets during the #postoperative period. #Textured implants do not require breast massage. You will be informed about this at your post-operative visit. 
Also, the two breasts commonly heal quite differently so #assymetry is not unusual. One breast may swell more, feel more uncomfortable, or have a different initial shape. After complete #healing, they will be more similar and natural. You must have patience, but if this causes concern, ask questions of the doctor or the nursing staff.

Why is one Areola healing different form the other ?

Thanks for your question. You are having a 2nd. intention scar in your right areola. Meaning the left one already finish the scar process.

Probably causes are : 1. Fluid acumulation under the wound,  2. A reaction to the suture material and / or 3. Quality of the suture use in that Areola.

It will need some correction form your PS but you have to wait at least 6 month for it.

Adolfo Sesto, MD

Mommy makeover recovery

This appears to be normal healing.  Tension on the incision can affect the way it looks and heals.  Continue to follow the advice of your plastic surgeon and keep all follow up appointments for optimal recovery.

Camille Cash, MD

Healing around areolae different - one looks better

Thank you for asking about your healing around your areolae after your breast reduction

• The tear drop shape is probably from a small separation of the sutures or tension on the incision there.
  • Let things heal -
  • If it doesn't look the same after six months, yuor surgeon can revise the scar.
  • Otherwise you seem to be healing beautifully!

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Why Do I Have One Areola With A Teardrop Shape & An Asymmetric Outer Edge?

Congratulations on having what appears to be an excellent breast reduction/lift/augmentation!  The teardrop shape you refer to on the affected side is because the top end of the vertical line in the middle of your lower breast has separated slightly.  It has been my experience that these minor separations can be treated by staples on either side of the separation during the wound healing process.  Each plastic surgeon has his or her own technique for dealing with these minor annoyances, and therefore it would be appropriate to call your personal plastic surgeon to get his or her take and any treatment that needs to be done.  

Secondly, the areola circular boundaries on the affected side appear to have retracted in an asymmetric fashion.  All plastic surgeons who do lifts of this nature get this minor problem from time to time.  Once again, each plastic surgeon has his or her own technique for dealing with these cosmetic annoyances.  If you were my patient, I would let the wounds heal and then do medical tattooing done by an expert medical tattoo artist, such as Jason Dias in my facility.  Jason does an exact match of your normal areola pigment, therefore obviating the need to do a secondary surgery with all the potential complications of a surgery.  

Why am I healing differently?

It appears by your photo that you are still very early post-operatively (just a few weeks out).  Your results will continue to change for months after your surgery and usually a revision can be done if you are not happy with your results after 6-12 months.  Try to be patient with your healing process as best you can and continue to follow up with your surgeon regularly.  Best of luck with your continued healing process!

Jeffrey A. Sweat, MD
Sacramento Plastic Surgeon

Why around my areola healing different from the next?

Thank you for sharing your question and photographs and I am sorry to see your healing difficulties.  Whether due to tension, swelling, or poor blood flow your right breast is having difficulty in healing well after surgery and has lost tissue and pigmentation.  This may improve subtly over the next 6-12 months, but if it does not you can pursue a surgical revision to further reduce your areola and improve the scarring, or may be able to have tattooing improve the coloration .  Hope this help.s

Areola following surgery

You appear to have had recent surgery and are still healing. In my opinion obviously speak with your physician about this but regardless I would wait 6-12 months to pass judgement on the result. At that time, you may need a revision but this can be fixed. Best of Luck. 

Robert Heck, MD, FACS
Columbus Plastic Surgeon