I Cannot Go Back to my Rhinoplasty Surgeon What Should I Do?

I had rhinoplasty 4 months ago. Unfortunately, I cannot go back to the surgeon who did the surgery for follow-ups, etc. What should I do? I also want to get a steroid injection to reduce the swelling. Please help. Thank you.

Doctor Answers 7

Rhinoplasty follow up when your surgeon is in different city.

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Have your surgeon refer you to someone nearby. We do thus all the time since we see patients from all over the world.

Beverly Hills Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 38 reviews

Follow up care

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

There is no question, it would be best returned your original surgeon. However, it is not possible geographically, or you have had a falling out with his surgeon, seeking other surgeon is experienced in rhinoplasty. Unfortunately, if you live in a small community this might be difficult since most surgeons are hesitant to take on "problems" from other surgeons. You might have to seek a surgeon and in other community.

John E. Sherman, MD
New York Plastic Surgeon
4.4 out of 5 stars 15 reviews

Rhinoplasty surgery

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
If you can not go back to your surgeon due to the fact you are out of town then your surgeon should recommend a surgeon in your area that he/she has a relationship with and discuss your case with this surgeon and continue follow up via this recommendation. I do a lot of surgery on patients from out of state that fly in and I set up other surgeons for follow up care when necessary. Then a proper diagnosis and post surgical recovery plan can be formulated.

Michael Elam, MD
Orange County Facial Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 218 reviews

Seeing Far Away Rhinoplasty Experts

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

I see a lot of out of town patients in my practice, and this is a challenge.  There are several options.

1-You can ask for a referral, however not every city has a skilled rhinoplasty specialist that can meet your needs.  If it is just during follow ups that you need help, then your surgeon can communicate with a local surgeon and guide the injection of steroids. 

2-You can try to Skype with your surgeon. I have done this for follow ups for my patients who are in another country.

3-SInce revisions cannot be performed for at least 9 to 12 months anyway, you may want to just be patient (with or without steroid injections) until that time when you can revisit your original surgeon so long as you trust him/her to evaluate you and perform your revision if necessary at that time.

Good luck. Keep in mind that especially for revisions, you should always go to a true rhinoplasty expert.  This link may help you with some of the out of town issues.


Ashkan Ghavami, MD
Beverly Hills Plastic Surgeon
4.1 out of 5 stars 105 reviews

Rhinoplasty Followup Care when Surgeon not Available

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

I assume you cannot see your surgeon because he is geographically undesirable. Ask him for a referral to a rhinoplasty surgeon in your area. We frequently do this because many of our patients are from out of state or out of the country.

Richard W. Fleming, MD
Beverly Hills Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 43 reviews

Where to go for rhinoplasty follow up

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

i assume this is an issue of geography and not personality.  by that i mean you can not go back because the surgeon is in a different city - not because you have had a falling out.  if that is true then i would recommend asking who he/she would recommend in your town.  regarding a steroid injection for swelling - this can be helpful for focal areas of swelling not general swelling.  this is particularly helpful for supratip swelling that ablates the supratip break.  minute amounts only are needed.

Adam Bryce Weinfeld, MD
Austin Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 62 reviews

Searching For A New Rhinoplasty Surgeon

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Your first step would be to ask your original rhinoplasty surgeon for a referral. If this is not possible, then you should seek out another rhinoplasty surgeon in your geographic area by contacting their office by e-mail. Your e-mail should describe your rhinoplasty surgery history, why you can not return to your original surgeon and what you are seeking in follow-up care. While many surgeons are hesitant to assume another surgeon's patient, this is usually the result of lack of adequate information. A straightforward description of why you find yourself in this situation would be the best way to find a new rhinoplasty surgeon.  

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.