BRCA2 positive, need double NSM prophylactic mastectomy. Where can I find ratings for surgeons in my area?

Where can I find ratings for surgeons for this procedure in my area.

Ratings from professional boards are a good start...

Get ready for the Alphabet soup - The ASPS, ASBS, ABS, and other organizations are make sure their members meet certain requirements to ensure they have safe patterns of practice, uphold laws, are licensed, and are associated with safe and well-reputed hospitals and medical centers. What they can't do is rank, rate, or report on whether a surgeon is patient, kind, a good communicator, has a well-run and efficient office, works well with staff and other surgeons, and says nothing about how skilled they are in the operating room. If you want a good surgeon, at a minimum, make sure he or she is a member of a reputable organization and is board certified. But if you want a great surgeon, ask doctors and nurses in your community who know these surgeons' work, who have seen patients who have had their care, and who have seen a variety of surgeons' outcomes. Talk to patients who have already had these surgeries and listen to what they liked and didn't like about their experience - Real Self is a great place for this, too! Lastly - make sure you know what the mastectomy flap and nipple death rate is for your general surgeon - do they routinely have to use hyperbaric oxygen because of wound healing issues? Have you heard about many patients having to be taken back and reoperatied on for skin death or for infections? Do they recommend and do special extra surgeries to improve blood supply because they are worried about having nipples die? These are red flags if this is expected and normal for their patients. It certainly does happen, even to the best surgeons - but you want the lowest possible chance that that happens to you.

Surgeon ratings

I appreciate your question.

Please visit the ASPS website to find a board certified plastic surgeon.
I also recommend a few consults

The best way to assess and give true advice would an in-person exam.
Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery.

best of luck!

Dr Schwartz

I have been doing these procedures in my office-based approved OR in combination with a chief of breast surgery from a  major NY city hospital for many years(over 10 years). He is a pioneer in the nipple sparing mastectomy and does an excellent job of removing as much breast tissue as possible(95-98%) while leaving the tissues viable for reconstruction; from there my team does the reconstruction, some of the results are on my website. 

Good luck and hope this helps

Andrew Kornstein, MD, FACS

Rating for surgeon considering double mastectomy

I recommend asking your family doctor and your oncologist fir their recommendation.  YELP is great to find a good pastrami sandwich, not your healthcare.

Craig Harrison, MD, PA
Tyler Plastic Surgeon

BRCA2 Prophylactic mastectomies

Hello Chrolsen,
Choosing your reconstructive surgeon is a very important decision. I believe that you need to find a team with a breast surgeon and a reconstructive surgeon that work together. I would focus my research on the plastic surgeon and have them refer you to a breast surgeon that they work with regularly and that they know does a good nipple sparing mastectomy. Because you have the luxury of time I would recommend interviewing more than one doctor. Often the best resource for reviews will be local breast cancer and BRCA support groups. 

Surgeons for breast reconstruction

I would search surgeons out directly, and in my opinion the reconstruction surgeon is as important as the breast surgeon that performs the mastectomy. Good luck.

BRCA2 positive, need double NSM prophylactic mastectomy.

Thanks for your question and congrats on your bravery for moving forward with a double NSM.   I recommend finding a plastic surgery and breast surgeon team.  The breast surgeon experience with nipple sparing mastectomies is extremely important.  I would ask if they routinely perform the procedure and where do they place their mastectomy incision.  I would recommend finding a plastic surgeon first and asking the plastic surgeon who they prefer to work with and who they think has the most experience in these complex mastectomies.  You can go to the ASPS (american society of plastic surgeon's) website and type in your zip code and find surgeons near you.  Best of luck.