Infection or swelling after Voluma?

I had voluma injections almost 2 weeks ago, and about five days ago the swelling went down. I had food poisoning two days ago and have been laying around in bed ever since. My cheeks are now swollen and sore the way they were on the first day I had my injection and I'm wondering if my cheeks are swollen from laying down or if I have an infection.

Post op swelling

My guess is that the swelling is due to your illness, but I always think it best to err on the side of caution so if I were you, I'd schedule an appointment to see your surgeon.

Kindly,

Kouros Azar

Thousand Oaks Plastic Surgeon

Needs a recheck

Most likely the swelling is related to your bout of food poisoning and not an infection.  Best to see your injector for an exam and recheck.

Infection or swelling after Voluma?

Hello Ddana,

The best way to answer your question is to be seen in person.  However, based on your description I would not be concerned about infection.  Assuming you had vomiting with your illness, this leads to increased pressure in the face.  The increased pressure in the face leads to swelling.  Laying around for two days makes it hard for that swelling to go away.  To have infections on both sides following an injection is quite rare (and even getting an infection after filler injection is quite rare), which is why it sounds more like it was just from the food poisoning.  I would recommend you follow up with your injector for an in person evaluation to make a better determination of what is going on.

I hope this helps and good luck.  

William Marshall Guy, MD
The Woodlands Facial Plastic Surgeon

Swelling after injections -- reverse with hyaluronidase and do venus legacy

You may have a biofilm reaction or infammatory reaction.  Please see your injector, soemone who specializes in complications.  Best, Dr. Emer.