Should I be concerned my doc has no problem doing 800cc saline medium profile under muscle implants? (photo)

I'm tall big and want boobs to. I founds pix of 800cc implants that looked good and I discussed that's what I want during my consultation. my doc went with it right away no questions asked basically. I want the fake round look with side boob but I don't (and cannot end up) like a freak show! I'm a soccer mom kinda girl and nurse so I need to still be presentable. So basically should I be worried my doc isn't concerned about such large implants and or is it reasonable cuz of my size? 5'10 240lb. 40A-B want DD.

800cc is a big implant

Thank you for your question. For majority of the patients, 800 cc is a very large implant size. As you said, it may be that your surgeon finds you suitable for 800 cc implants given your size. I cannot say what your surgeon had in mind, but a board-certified surgeon will always determine a suitable range for the implant volume after conducting some breast measurements in accordance with tissue-based planning. Measurements such as breast base width, the amount of breast skin stretch, nipple to breast fold distance under maximal stretch, skin quality, chest wall asymmetries, etc. will be looked into. For example, if your breast base is very wide, we will require a higher implant volume to avoid the “rock in a sock” appearance.  As surgeons, we want to provide optimal fill for your breasts. But this does not mean overly stretching your breasts. A large implant that exceeds your breast boundaries, or overly stretches your breasts, or is too round will make your breasts look unnatural. I know you would like round breasts, but as you said, you do not want to be a "freak show". In fact, there is higher likelihood of negative effects such as bottoming out (i.e., an empty upper pole, nipple sitting too high on the breast), double bubble deformity, implant malposition, implant visibility, breast sagging, and breast tissue wasting. So going big is good, but going beyond limits will get you in “big” trouble…pun intended. Another problem with abnormally large implants is hypersensitivity of the breast. Large implants may press against sensory nerves near the breast tissue leading to either increased or decreased sensitivity in breast sensation. This is why going for a moderate sized implant is best. What you always want to keep in mind is whether the chosen implants look proportionate to your breast frame and torso. This is why trials and bra-sizing would help judge the looks.  In my opinion, an 800 cc implant is large and heavy, but having said all this, it cannot be conclusively said that this implant size won’t work for you without an in-person consultation and exam.  It is important that you communicate your goals very clearly, but understand that you need to have realistic expectations.    If you doubt the judgement of the surgeon, a second opinion would be best obtained through an in-person consultation.   Hope this helps, and best of luck!

Should I be concerned my doc has no problem doing 800cc saline medium profile under muscle implants?

Thank you for your questions and pictures. I think that you are right to be cautious of implants that large. I would advise you not to look at a picture of someone else with 800 cc implants and assume that because you like the way they look, that you will look the same with the same size of implants. Implant sizing requires expertise and measurements, in addition to taking into your goals and objectives. This should be done by a board certified (ABPS) plastic surgeon. If you walked into an office and told a doctor you wanted 800 cc implants, and he said ok without doing measurements or otherwise sizing you, then I would be very suspicious. It is ok if you want to maximize the volume of the implant, and someone your size can often carry a large implant. That being said, you need to make sure you are not choosing an implant that is too wide for your chest (800 cc implant carries a diameter of over 15 cm in a high profile implant or over 14 cm in an UHP implant), and you also need to make sure you are considering the downside of carrying a large implant in the long term and this is a thorough discussion you should have with your plastic surgeon.
I have provided you a link to board certified plastic surgeons in your area. If the person you saw is not on this list, you might want to choose someone from this list and start over..... 
Good luck and be safe!

An 800 cc implant is a large and heavy implant. I would suggest going back to your doctor and discussing the size again. Please try on a sizer of that weight so you can see the size and feel the weight. Don't just base your size on another one's picture. Hopefully, your doctor has measured you to see if you could physically wear that large size. Also, the larger the implant is, the more potential of ripples exist with saline implants. At that size, you might want to consider gel implants. I would also suggest trying on smaller sizes like 500 and 600 and 700. Very large breasts over time do tend to sag.

Connie Hiers, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Taller and larger women

can easily carry 800 cc's... but your own statements conflict about what you want.  You say you want fake round and side boob but not a 'freak show'.  You should size with external sizers around 725 cc or so and see if the mirror if you would be a 'freak show' or not.  If you carry the 725 cc sizers easily, you will carry the 800 cc implant the same.  You may need asymmetrical fills to help even you out but it won't be a huge difference.

Curtis Wong, MD

Breast Augmentation - Size Selection

Thank you for your question. "Tissue based planning" relies on your chest and breast measurements and is the safest way to ensure good long term results. Your surgeon should determine what size and projection are necessary to give you your desired result based on your body's measurements. The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam. Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic breast surgery. Hope this helps and good luck with your surgery.

Should I be concerned?

Your photo shows severe ptosis (droop) and asymmetry,with the left breast appearing considerably larger than the right.  You need a lift with the implants, and I question whether a 800cc implant will fit in the right breast.  Make sure you are seeing an experienced, Board Certified Plastic Surgeon to best avoid complications.

Paul Silverstein, MD
Oklahoma City Plastic Surgeon

Breast Augmentation/Breast Implants/Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/ Silicone Implants/Breast Implant Revision

I appreciate your question. The size of implant best for you is dictated by your chest wall measurements.  Once we determine that we can choose the profile based on what you want or need to achieve.  If you are seeking a natural look, then the diameter of the implant should be equal to or, more ideally, smaller than the width of your breast. The breast width is a measurement of how wide your breast is at the base, which should be measured at the level of the nipple. Choosing an implant that is smaller in diameter than your breast width will avoid the "side breast" fullness that is often associated with a more artificial appearance.  Other than that, you should choose the implant based on volume, not on the dimensions of the implant. You should choose a board certified plastic surgeon that you trust to help guide you in this decision.   Silicone will give you a fullness at the top (upper pole fullness). Silicone implants come pre-filled with a silicone gel and are the softest implant available. They feel more natural, which makes them a good option for women with less natural breast tissue; but they require a larger incision. It may be more difficult to realize if this type of implant has ruptured, so it is important to monitor them with annual follow-up visits. Additionally, because this implant contains a more liquid silicone (less cross-linked), if this implant should rupture, it will leak only into the scar capsule formed around the implant but may cause some discomfort or implant distortion. Anatomic gummy bear implants might be a good choice to give you volume. These highly-sought-after, anatomic implants offer a look that more closely resembles the natural silhouette of a breast, and, therefore, are a very attractive option for individuals seeking a natural-looking, aesthetic primary breast augmentation. Additionally, these implants are an especially excellent option for patients undergoing restorative or corrective breast surgery because they provide more stability, shape, and reduced incidence of capsular contracture. Compared to other types of silicone gel implants, the silicone in the cohesive gel implant is more cross-linked; therefore, should the implant shell “rupture,” it maintains its shape and silicone does not leak. During your breast augmentation consultation, you should feel the different types of implants available, and try on various implant sizers in front of a mirror to help you to get an idea of how you will look following the surgery. You should also bring pictures of the look you would like to achieve, as well as a favorite top to wear when trying on implant sizers. The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam. Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery. Best of luck! Dr Schwartz Board Certified Plastic Surgeon Director-Beverly Hills Breast and Body Institute #RealSelf100Surgeon

Thank you for the question and pictures. You will find that online consultants will not be able to provide you with specific advice in regards to selection of specific breast implant size/profile. Based on your description and photographs some thoughts: best to achieve your long-term stable weight prior to proceeding with elective breast surgery. Based on your photographs, demonstrating asymmetric breast ptosis, I would suggest breast lifting first; a second stage breast augmentation may be necessary to achieve your size goals. 

Ultimately, careful communication of your goals (in my practice I prefer the use of goal pictures, direct examination/communication in front of a full-length mirror, and computer imaging) will be critical.  Generally speaking, the best online advice I can give to ladies who are considering revisionary breast augmentation surgery (regarding breast implant size/profile selection) is:

1. Concentrate on choosing your plastic surgeon carefully. Concentrate on appropriate training, certification, and the ability of the plastic surgeon to achieve the results you are looking for. Ask to see lots of examples of his/her work. 2. Have a full discussion and communication regarding your desired goals with your plastic surgeon. This communication will be critical in determining breast implant size/type/profile will most likely help achieve your goals.  In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or "DD cup” etc means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful. Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup size may also be inaccurate.  3. Once you feel you have communicated your goals clearly, allow your plastic surgeon to use his/her years of experience/judgment to choose the breast implant size/profile that will best meet your goals. Again, in my practice, this decision is usually made during surgery ( after the use of temporary intraoperative sizers). Viewing the patient's chest wall in the upright and supine positions, with temporary sizes in place, help select the best breast implant size/profile for the specific patient.

I hope this, and the attached link (dedicated to "larger" breast augmentation surgery concerns), helps. Best wishes.

Breast Implant size

Most Board Certified Plastic Surgeons will use a dimensional approach (breast and chest wall measurements) to find an implant range appropriate for your body and desires.  Within that range you can choose the size you are comfortable with.  Larger women with broader chests and wider breasts usually can accommodate larger implants, but larger and larger implants are associated with more risks of complications. You should have this frank discussion with your Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.  Based on your photographs, you may indeed need a breast lift as well as an augmentation to achieve an appropriately positioned and shaped breast as well as to improve asymmetries.

Breast aug, choosing size

This is a large implant. I would recommend talking again with your PS about this size. Perhaps even ask to see one and try that on with a bra so you have an idea of what that would feel like to have on your chest. Everyone size, shape, expectations are different of course. I like to use measurements of the patient to help choose a size that will work for their body and that works for them/their lifestyle and what they are looking for. Hope this helps,

Margo Herron, MD
Medford Plastic Surgeon