Does a Composite Face Lift have any benefits over a SMAS Face Lift?

The Composite is touted by a Dr. Hamra. Other doctors have indicated they do not advise such a procedure. So, the Jury is out, with me, as a Lay Person. That is the reason for my question.

When should someone consider a more complex composite #facelift as opposed to a traditional SMAS facelift?

Thank you for your question.  I will try to simplify the answer.

The traditional facelift with SMAS lift works well for many people.  However, if the amount of soft tissue to be lifted, redraped and repositioned is a large amount, there is a chance that the patient gets unnatural horizontal lines in the cheek area and outside the eye region - hence the "wind-swept look", a tell-tale sign of a facelift.

To contervene this situation, a vertical vector is required in the facelift and the forehead lift is then performed.  This is how I trained with Dr. Connell in California; the classic full facelift.

Dr. Hamra's upper/lower blepharoplasty is a common technique for the lower lids and the septal reset was described also many years ago.  Risk of ectropion is present with septal reset and this technique should be done carefully.  I prefer to redrape the fat pads and perform fat grafting as fat is almost always needed in rejuvenation.

There is no doubt that doing a full facelift, with eyelids, SMAS lift and anterior neck repair is the most powerful rejuvenating procedure yet not everyone needs this all at the same time.  This can be done in stages.  Adding fat grafting to the full facelift is truly a wonderful addition for optimal results.  Yet, this longer procedure is more complex and tedious and you should research carefully your plastic surgeon.  This is not the small facelift that is taught in plastic surgery school.

Hope this helps!

Best regards.

Composite Face LIft vs. SMAS facelift

The Composite Face Lift addresses not only the cheeks, jowls, and neck, but also the upper and lower eyelids and even the forehead (brow position). The normal SMAS lift addresses the lower face and neck with tightening the neck muscles and removal of any excess fatty tissue. When upper and lower eyelid blepharoplasty with a brow lift is added, the end result should be very close to the same. The results all depend on the experience and expertise of the surgeon. Interview more than one surgeon and make sure all of your questions are answered prior to your procedure. Ask about recovery times, risks, costs, and experience of your surgeon.
John Standefer MD

Thank you for your question.  The skills and experience of your plastic surgeon is the best determent of your face lift results.  Dr. Hamra achieves excellent results with his composite facelift.  However an excellent experience surgeon can achieve similar excellent results doing the SMAS facelift.

Thank you for your question. The selection of the ideal technique for a specific patient depends on the preferences and experience of the surgeon, on his abilities, on the aims to be achieved, areas to be improved and also on the anatomical features of the specific patient (bone structure,the quality of the skin, sun damage and elasticity, volume etc). If one technique was far superior to all the others, there would not be the wide range of techniques we currently have and use.

I would advice you to see 3 different experience plastic surgeons and on that ground identify the best technique for your case.

All the best.

Andrea Marando

Andrea Marando, MD
Manchester Plastic Surgeon

Facelift #cosmeticsurgery #postopcontour #blepharoplasty #woundhealing

Dear 7734 from Az

Thank you for your question!  There are so many different surgical techniques and names for facelifting!!!  The best results are from surgeons with Artistic talent and address what is required for facial re- shaping .  It is best to get a referral by word of mouth.

With Warm Regards

Trevor M Born MD

Trevor M. Born, MD

Most experienced plastic surgeons do not feel that a composite face lift will produce a better result than a SMAS face lift. The exact technique is far less important than having the procedure performed by an experienced, excellent artistic plastic surgeon who individualizes the procedure based on your anatomy and desired outcome.

It is important to realize that following the advice from a surgeon on this or any other website who proposes to tell you exactly what to do without examining you, physically feeling the tissue, assessing your desired outcome, taking a full medical history, and discussing the pros and cons of each operative procedure would not be in your best interest. I would suggest you find a plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and ideally a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) that you trust and are comfortable with. You should discuss your concerns with that surgeon in person.

Facial rejuvenation needs to be individualized. What would be an ideal approach for one patient is not necessarily the same for someone else. Based on the examination and discussion at the consultation, you should have a better understanding of the various options that can achieve the best cosmetic result for you.

Robert Singer, MD FACS

La Jolla, California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Facelift candidate

It is really important to pick your facelift surgeon, not your specific  face lift procedure. Look for a surgeon who has extensive experience in naturally appearing facelifts by looking at their before and after results, ratings, reviews, testimonials, and board certifications. Make 3 appointments with 3 different surgeons in your area.