Should I be able to feel some effect from Botox injections from migraines?

Should your head feel numb in places or what? I suffer from chronic migraines and had botox injections two days ago, but haven't noticed anything different yet.

Time Course Of Botox Effect on Migraines

Two days is too early to have any effect from Botox, so I don't believe the numbness you perceive is related to your Botox injection.  It usually takes several weeks to experience any relief from your migraine symptoms due to an injection of Botox.

Botox for headache

Good question.

You shouldn't feel numb.  Botox works to relax the muscles that cause headaches, as well as decrease the nerve firing that causes headaches but doesn't necessarily cause numbness. Also, botox takes at least 72 hours to take effect, and full effect can take up to 1 week.

Give it some time before you decide if it works for you.

Best of luck

Dr Rodman

Regina Rodman, MD
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon

Botox for migraine reduction

You generally won't feel any numbness in the areas as Botox doesn't affect the sensory nerves. Hopefully you will see some reduction in the frequency and possibly intensity of your headaches within one month, maybe sooner.

Hope you feel better soon,

Dr. Norcom

Derek Norcom, MD
Portland Physician

What to Expect with Botox for Migraines

Botox is used for treatment of pain associated with a migraine, so you may not feel anything in particular. Botox can be injected into the forehead, around the ear, back of the head, and neck muscles to help migraines, so you may feel some numbness in those areas, but it does take a few weeks for Botox to take effect. Best, Dr. Emer