I am 56 years old, this year and I have an abdominal protrusion of approximately 6-8 inches and I am in a lot of pain.

I first noticed that i had a fairly large knot in my stomach, while in the Army doing pushups and ssit ups. The more stress I placed on my stomach muscles the more the knot seemed to grow and Istarted to feel the pain. I tried to live and ignore it but didn't work. As I got older it grew larger with more pain. Now i have constant pain when I do anything that uses my a stomach muscles, which as you know is almost everything. I need to get something done and what do I do?? Lloyd in pain..

Doctor Answers 6


{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
I would suggest first going to your medical doctor and being examined. You may have a hernia or possible tumor in the muscle area. Xrays may also be helpful. Your doctor can then send you to a general surgeon for further treatment for either.

San Antonio Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 18 reviews

​Hello, you are greeted by the doctor Franklin de Jesus waiting to be able to help with my response to your question.

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

There that to reject the possibility that this protuberance is not a process herniario. In case of the hernias they tend to increase with the effort. First of all the first thing is a good diagnosis to know about that it treats itself exactly and on the basis of this diagnosis we will indicate the treatment treating the reasons that caused the above mentioned protuberance. 

Franklin De Jesus, MD
Dominican Republic Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Thank you for your question! It is hard to tell what you will need without a physical examination! I suggest you seek a board certified plastic surgeon, and have a consultation!  Best of luck!
Dr Dhaval PatelDouble Board Certifed Plastic Surgeon ChicagoHoffman Estates Oak Brook

Dhaval M. Patel, MD
Hoffman Estates Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 100 reviews

You might also like...

Abdominal protrusion

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
You are either describing a hernia through the abdominal muscles or a separation of the muscles (rectus) that allows the intestines and fat around the intestines to bulge.  The first is something that needs to be addressed soon.  The second reason is something that is corrected during a tummy tuck.
I would recommend you see a board-certified general surgeon to see if you have a hernia or just a separation of the muscles.  And, I would suggest you do this sooner than later.  Some true hernias could cause major problems if not treated.
If you do not have a true hernia, then go see an experienced, board-certified plastic surgeon to discuss your issues.

Robert J. Spies, MD
Paradise Valley Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 95 reviews

Abdominal Protrusion and Pain

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Your symptoms are highly suggestive of an abdominal hernia, a defect in the abdominal wall that can allow intra-abdominal contents to protrude. If the protruding contents have blood circulation cut off from being stuck in the hernia defect then this is a serious and potentially life-threatening condition. Please see a board certified general surgeon ASAP. 

David S. Motoki, MD
Draper Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 17 reviews


{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
It sounds like you are describing what is called a ventral hernia. You need to see a general surgeon as that is not in the purview of cosmetic abdominal surgery.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD
Portland Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 29 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.