Tummy tuck horror. Any suggestions?

I just A full tummy tuck on Feb. 15 .2016 .2 weeks ago I had to go to E.R. to get drained.they drained a liter of fluid. Days later I noticed my lower tummy got really hard and looks like I'm 3 months pregnant.what do you think could be wrong

Seroma post op

Hello and thank you for reaching out. It does sound like you are experiencing repeat seroma activity, which will likely mean a couple of trips to your surgeon to have the fluid aspirated, until it no longer reappears. Follow up with your surgeon if there are concerns about a repeat episode and skip the trip to the ER. Best Wishes.

Tummy tuck seromas.

A fluid collection after tummy tuck, a seroma, can frequently recur and most do better with a drain in place though some have sucess with repeat aspiration. Compression and rest can also speed up the resolution. Rather than an ER visit, your surgeon will be well equipped to help you.

Probable seroma

It sounds like you may have a recurrent seroma which usually will remove with repeated aspirations.  This can be done in the office.  You should follow-up with your surgeon regularly to have this drained as needed until it resolves.

Todd C. Case, MD
Tucson Plastic Surgeon

Recurrent Seroma

Most contour irregularities after tummy tucks , in my experience, have been seromas. It sounds like you have a recurrent seroma and you would like to avoid a chronic pseudo-bursa which is a lined sack that retains fluid that never goes away and feels firm. At this point, I would try a seroma catheter, which is a tube that can be placed in an office setting into the seroma leaving the drain there for several days to a week. If the seroma recurs after the drain has been removed, then some type of surgical obliteration of the space will be necessary. Go back to your operating plastic surgeon and discuss. Good luck.

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS

Tummy tuck horror. Any suggestions?

Based on your question it is most likely a reaccumulation of your fluid collection.  I would reach out to your surgeon for an evaluation and possible repeated aspiration to try and reduce the size and discomfort that a seroma can cause. Hope this helps.

Complications

Sounds like you are having issues with a recurrent seroma it fluid collection. Sometimes this requires a drain to be placed under the skin to help get rid of the fluid. Make sure you have good follow up with your surgeon to monitor the amount of swelling and fluid

David R. Alfonso, MD, FACS
Grand Rapids Plastic Surgeon

Needs a recheck

It sounds like the seroma fluid has come back.
Have a check as you probably need more drainage.
The fluid does not go away on its own.