Could this be a permanent dent? (photos)

I'm 23 days post op. I've noticed that when I seat the compression garment creates a dent on my stomach and also the area is very stiff. I would like to know if according to the pictures this looks more like a permanent thing instead of a dent created by clothing. My DR. says it will disappear but I'm worried. Also, the dent gets smother during the mornings. Please give me your overall opinion.

Liposuction dent- is it permanent

Thank you for asking about your liposuction.
  • The dent is caused by the liposuction garment shifting fluid upwards.
  • This should be temporary but -
  • To be on the safe side, find a garment that doesn't create a dent and/or use light massage on the area.
  • You are still very swollen at 3 weeks - it will take 6 months or more to see your final result.
Always consult a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.  Best wishes. Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Is the dent in my abdomen permanent after liposuction?

You are just over three weeks from surgery.  It is common to have surface irregularities or "dents"  in the first few weeks after liposuction.  This occurs as a result of the swelling not being uniform across the area of liposuction .  Discuss this with your plastic surgeon.  If this persists after a few months, then a touch-up may be needed.  Good luck

John Zavell, MD, FACS
Toledo Plastic Surgeon

It is most likely swelling that is leading to the indentation, and you have to give it a good 4-6 months for all the swelling to subside. Best of luck.

#liposuction #plasticsurgery #tummytuck

Hi yellep, Final results can take up to six months for all the swelling to subside. thank you for your excellent question. Congratulations on your recent surgery. Your photos are very helpful, however without the benefit of knowing your full health history and an in person exam it's impossible to say for certain. Your concerns are important to discuss directly with your board certified plastic surgeon.  He or she will appreciate the open communication and will want to help you. If you decide to seek a second opinion, consult with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon in person, preferably one who has these credentials: *Board Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery - the gold star symbol
*A member of the ASPS (American Society of Plastic Surgeons) - the circle symbol
*A member of the ASAPS (American Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgeons) - the Queen Nefertiti symbol with a Triangle.    Hope this is helpful and wish you all the very best. Kind regards, Brian Coan, MD, FACS  CARE Plastic Surgery  

Brian Coan, MD, FACS
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

VASER Hi Definition Liposuction / Body Contouring / Is Dent Permanent?

t's normal to be swollen and lumpy for the first couple of months after liposuction. You might want to try massage and/or a better fitting compression garment. If it still persists after three more months, please see an expert. Best, Dr. Emer 

At 23 days it is not uncommon to have focal areas of swelling after liposuction which ultimately settle out with time.  I recommend close follow-up with your doctor.  Perhaps they can recommend a way to modify the garment so it doesn't impinge on the same spot every time you sit.

Dr. Dan Krochmal
MAE Plastic Surgery
Northbrook, IL

Daniel Krochmal, MD
Chicago General Surgeon

Garment dent

It is unlikely that your garment will leave a permanent dent. 23 days post-op is too early to judge it.  Also, is yor garment high enough, or do you need a longer model?

Paul Silverstein, MD
Oklahoma City Plastic Surgeon

Could this be a permanent dent?

Thank you for your question and series of photographs.  It is difficult without an in-person examination to determine what may be taking place.  At 23 days after surgery this is most commonly residual, asymmetric swelling which will spontaneously resolve.  All the more likely as the area is smoother in the morning and only is dented with your garment use.  It would be important to voice your concerns to your surgeon to ensure that other issues are not taking place - discrete fluid collection, muscle laxity, or residual adipose tissue - but this likely will improve spontaneously.  Hope this helps.