I think I have damaged my skin with the ice-pack and caused an ulcer/frostbite. Lumpy hood :( (photos)

11 days post op. I have an enlarged clitoris but when I got labiaplasty and hood reduction I thought the aim was to have less skin on the hood, it has just piled up, seems to be coming detached. I also have this ulcer / or frostbite? I'm not feeling confident. The ulcer was only 1 mm wide 4 days ago. Now it is more than half a cm. not feeling confident at all. You can see the dark marks, in think they are consistent w ice-pack but my surgeon says they are bruises from surgery.

Post-Op Healing for Labiaplasty

Swelling after #Labiaplasty is usually present for several weeks.  It’s possible that swelling can persist for two or three months. Firmness of tissue can remain for 4-6 months. Postoperative care will usually consist of sitz baths or soaking the area in warm soapy water starting approximately 2 days after a surgery.  The sutures will dissolve over the course of several weeks.  This will in part depend upon the #Labiaplasty technique used, the amount of bruising and they way in which your body heals. Ice can help reduce swelling. Arnica and Bromelain may help.  Direct massage may be useful to treat swelling as well. If you are still not feeling confident about your healing progress, it would be best to contact your surgeon directly to have the area evaluated in person. A follow-up appointment can help determine how well healing is progressing and if there is anything different to be done for improve the healing process. Best of luck to you!

Doubt frostbite

Dear Knife and Fork:
I totally agree with Dr Oscar Aguirre's post below.. This appears to be a thermal injury from surgery and it will heal on its own

"Ulceration" following labiaplasty

Thanks for your post. There isn't anything you can do right now, nor can you make any final conclusions with regards to the final outcome till you finish healing. Things will continue to improve as you heal. However, you will likely have a large hood and irregularities that you may want revised if it is bothersome to you.An ice pack following, 15-20 minutes of every hour will not cause harm and certainly not the necrotic lesion that exists on your left labia. Most likely that area underwent some thermal injury during the procedure, but it should heal on its own.  If you decide to have a revision you should seek out second opinions. Below is a link on advice regarding this.Best of luck,

Oscar A. Aguirre, MD
Denver Urogynecologist

11 days post-op linear LP; looks bumpy with small ?ulcer/separated area...

I think you're going to heal OK; the bumpiness is caused by 4-0 Vicryl sutures, but after they're dissolved in 3-4 more weeks, the inflammation will subside & I think it will look OK. As for the "ulcer" at the inner base on the left side, you had a small separation there and, while it will take a couple of weeks longer to heal than the rest, should look OK as well. **See your surgeon though for specific instructions! I've attached a weblink of results-- you should look similarly I think...
Michael P Goodman, MDDavis, CA, USA

You are swollen and lumpy 11 days after your labiaplasty

Once the swelling resolves, you'll have a better idea of your results. I don't think the hood is going to improve much. The dark skin is not sufficiently clear to discern necrosis from bruising, but you should have your surgeon check it out. Ice packs are not a good idea in the first 24 hours.

I think I have damaged my skin with the ice-pack and caused an ulcer/frostbite. Lumpy hood

Thank you for sharing your questions and photographs and I am sorry that your current results have not been what you anticipated. At 11 days postoperatively the thin tissues of your labia do have swelling that is obscuring your long term results.  That said your trim labiaplasty does not appear to have tapered into your clitoral hood or has addressed its tissue excess.  I think the ulcers that you are seeing are the result of bleeding and scabbing from the procedure or from an incisional separation.  An in-person exam would allow for a more definitive diagnosis. Though you will need to allow yourself time for your results to mature I would voice your concerns to your surgeon so that a review of the operative plan can be had or seek a second opinion from a qualified surgeon.