Earlobe reduction surgery? (Photo)

I'm a 25 year old who has large earlobes due to hereditary reasons. I've been teased countless times because of this. I went to a doctor to get a consultation and informed me that he would only do the surgery out of the hospital. The hospital fees would cost more than the actual surgery, which is $1200 alone. Isn't this procedure usually in the office? Not sure how much Ionger I can last with these ears.

Earlobe reduction surgery?

Earlobe reduction surgery is a common surgery and can be performed in the office under local anesthesia. The procedure is well tolerated, with many patients able to re-pierce their ears in 4 to 6 weeks.The attached link provides more information.I hope this helps.

Ear Lobe Reduction

Thanks for your question!  Ear lobe reduction can be a relatively simple, in office procedure that can be performed under local anesthetic.  I would suggest getting a second opinion from another surgeon.  I bet you will find a physician who can perform this under local.  Best of luck to you!

Earlobe reduction

We all have features that bother  us and fortunately large ear lobes can be easily corrected. It is usually done under local anesthesia in an office setting. The healing process is fairly minor and you can go about your daily activities almost immediately

Ben Lee, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Earlobe reduction surgery?

I am sorry to hear about the trouble your earlobe length has caused. In my practice, I perform this procedure under local anesthesia.  The stretched out portion of the earlobe is excised (cut out) and the two "raw edges" are brought together.  Seek consultation with reputable board certified plastic surgeons in your area.

I hope this, and the attached link, helps.

Earlobe reduction

These procedures are performed more commonly than you may be aware.  Often earlobe reduction is performed as part of general facial rejuvenation, as the aging process can lengthen earlobes.  These procedures can easily be performed in the office setting, and know that there are a variety of techniques that likely can achieve your goals.  

George Bitar, MD
Fairfax Plastic Surgeon

Earlobe surgery - reduction earlobe

Earlobe surgery is usually performed under local anesthesia in the office. This should be pretty straight forward. Best wishes

Bianca Knoll, MD
Frankfurt Plastic Surgeon

Ear lobe reduction

I perform all sorts of ear lobe repairs under straight local. Not sure why it would have to be done in a hospital  or out patient facility.

Earlobe Reduction

The earlobes can be reshaped under local anesthesia in the office operating room. The procedure usually take about 20-30 minutes and the patient can go back to work the same day.

Bahman Guyuron, MD
Cleveland Plastic Surgeon

Ear lobe reduction

Thank you for asking about your ear lobe reduction.
  • I am so sorry you have been teased about your earlobes - that's awful and you deserve better.
  • Yes, this surgery is easily done in the office with local anesthesia.
  • There is no need to pay a hospital fee -
  • The surgeon you saw may be an employee of the hospital and required to use their facilities.
  • I suggest you find a plastic surgeon who has a minor operating room in her/his office.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Ear lobe reduction

Ear lobe reduction surgery is very simple procedure that can be performed in the office using local anesthetic. There are few different ways to perform this procedure. The cost will vary depending on where you live. I would expect $600-$1000 range for bilateral procedure. 

Kyle S. Choe, MD
Virginia Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon