Did my clitoral hood reduction adequately deal with excess tissue on hood? 4 months post surgery. I do have CAH (Photos)

What could be done to improve it? What could I say to my surgeon to persuade her to perform a surgical revision? At my six week revision she said she definitely wouldn't do a revision. I've been to another surgeon who said to go back and ask her for one. Having CAH I know I'll never have a really neat one but this was supposed to be a cosmetic surgery.im actually in Australia. There's a lot of excess skin kind of lumped on the top and I think it's only going to get worse. Its lumpy and bumpy.

Labiaplasty and Clitoral Hood Reduction Concerns

Thank you for your question and photographs.  Swelling is common after labiaplasty and clitoral hood reduction with the amount dependent in part based on the time since surgery.  The final result will be seen after several months, which at that time one can evaluate if a secondary surgery would be recommended.  Preoperative photographs would be helpful.  If you require a secondary procedure in the future, I would recommend an experienced genital cosmetic and reconstructive surgeon even if that requires traveling. Best of luck.     

Jeffrey S. Palmer, MD, FACS, FAAP (Cosmetic and Reconstructive Urologist -- Cleveland, Ohio)

Cleveland Urologist

Revision of labiaplasty

You need an in person opinion from an experienced labiaplasty surgeon who has done revisions. If your surgeon does not want to do it, please seek a second opinion. It is hard to give more of an opinion without the original photos. Best wishes. 

Francisco Canales, MD
Santa Rosa Plastic Surgeon

Clitoral hood reduction.

You had a poorly performed trimming labiaplasty and minimal reduction of your clitoral hood. The extra tissue on your clitoral hood can be reduced. Your clitoral hood is thick, wide, and protuberant. It can be decreased somewhat by reducing the sides. I invented a clitoropexy with clitoral hood reduction in which the clitoris is pushed closer to the pubic bone and the width, thickness, length, and protuberance of the clitoral hood can be decreased. I have performed this procedure over 250 times with excellent results. That is really the procedure you need, but I don't know anyone in Australia that can do anything like it.  

As the inventor and innovator of the wedge technique in 1994, I reconstruct many women who have had labia reductions by other surgeons, both wedge and trimming techniques. Your labia are asymmetrical with scallops.  The reconstruction technique depends on the deformity. However, no attempt to revise your labia should be done until you are at least five months after your past procedure as your appearance will improve, and the swelling will be less. You need to control your anxiety and wait. The reconstruction is more difficult than a primary labiaplasty and should be done by a plastic surgeon with extensive experience in labia reconstruction. I published the first and most extensive paper on labia reconstruction in the prestigious journal "Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery" about two years ago. You may need various reconstructive techniques to give you a good appearance, but this won't be known until all the swelling is gone.  You only get one good chance to reconstruct you, so be patient and ask a lot of questions.

Gary J. Alter, MD

Another botch, another botch. (AKA "Unintended Avoidable Female Genital Mutilation...")

Whomever did your labiaplasty was NOT an expert. Not only did (s)he do a bumpy poor job on your labia, (s)he had no idea how to minimize your clitoral hood size, so just left it alone. Want it done right? See a surgeon who specializes and is an expert in this surgery. PERIOD. Sorry, one can see an expert & get it right the first time, or see a "general gyn" and risk 50-50 having it botched, or having only the labia removed in a slipshod manner with no hood work.

Michael P Goodman, MD

Davis, CA, usa

Clitoral Hood Revision

It does appear that you still have a significant amount of hooding around the clitoris.  The best thing to do would be to see a plastic surgeon that has extensive experience with labiaplasty and hour reductions.  I am not sure what happened with your first surgery, but it does look like you could make a significant improvement.  I hope this helps.

Your clitoral hood result is a failure

Don't expect a surgeon who couldn't address your clitoral hood the first time around to develop magical healing powers and expert skills any time soon. She's doing you a favor by refusing to revise you. See a labiaplasty expert next time.

Did my clitoral hood reduction adequately deal with excess tissue on hood?

Thank you for sharing your question and photographs and I am sorry that your results have not been what you anticipated.  I can see your area of concern, and though nothing replaces an in-person examination, it does appear that you could have additional tissue length and width removed from your clitoral hood to leave a smoother appearance to the tissues.  Talk to your surgeon and review your photographs. They want you to be happy and should work with you to discuss options.  Hope this helps.