AAA breasts on very slender frame - would love a full B without losing my shape/slope! (Photo)

I'm about to start my consults for new breasts - I'm currently a AAA, but love the natural shape/slope of my breasts. I'm also worried about going too big and overwhelming my slender frame, or going too small and regretting it later. If you were my doctor, what size implants would you recommend? I want to have nice cleavage to show off/have fun with, but not look fake or stripper-like. Also, saline or silicone? I'm also wondering what the downtime is for a procedure like this?

Breast augmentation

Hello and thank you for your question.  The size of the implant is based on your desired breast size/shape, your chest wall measurements, and soft tissue quality.  This decision should be based on a detailed discussion with equal input from both you and your surgeon.  Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and evaluate their results.   The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Breast Implants/Breast Augmentation/Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/ Silicone Implants/Breast Implant Revision Surgery

I appreciate your question. The size of implant best for you is dictated by your chest wall measurements.  Once we determine that we can choose the profile based on what you want or need to achieve.  If you are seeking a natural look, then the diameter of the implant should be equal to or, more ideally, smaller than the width of your breast. The breast width is a measurement of how wide your breast is at the base, which should be measured at the level of the nipple. Choosing an implant that is smaller in diameter than your breast width will avoid the "side breast" fullness that is often associated with a more artificial appearance.  Other than that, you should choose the implant based on volume, not on the dimensions of the implant. You should choose a board certified plastic surgeon that you trust to help guide you in this decision.   Silicone will give you a fullness at the top (upper pole fullness). Silicone implants come pre-filled with a silicone gel and are the softest implant available. They feel more natural, which makes them a good option for women with less natural breast tissue; but they require a larger incision. It may be more difficult to realize if this type of implant has ruptured, so it is important to monitor them with annual follow-up visits. Additionally, because this implant contains a more liquid silicone (less cross-linked), if this implant should rupture, it will leak only into the scar capsule formed around the implant but may cause some discomfort or implant distortion. Anatomic gummy bear implants might be a good choice to give you volume. These highly-sought-after, anatomic implants offer a look that more closely resembles the natural silhouette of a breast, and, therefore, are a very attractive option for individuals seeking a natural-looking, aesthetic primary breast augmentation. Additionally, these implants are an especially excellent option for patients undergoing restorative or corrective breast surgery because they provide more stability, shape, and reduced incidence of capsular contracture. Compared to other types of silicone gel implants, the silicone in the cohesive gel implant is more cross-linked; therefore, should the implant shell “rupture,” it maintains its shape and silicone does not leak. During your breast augmentation consultation, you should feel the different types of implants available, and try on various implant sizers in front of a mirror to help you to get an idea of how you will look following the surgery. You should also bring pictures of the look you would like to achieve, as well as a favorite top to wear when trying on implant sizers. The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam. Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery. Best of luck! Dr. Schwartz Board Certified Plastic Surgeon Director-Beverly Hills Breast and Body Institute #RealSelf100Surgeon #RealSelfCORESurgeon

All your questions can be answered during the consultation. Your doctor will measure you and discuss the range of sizes that bests fits your frame and tissue. With little breast tissue, silicone gel implants are softer and give a more natural feel.

Connie Hiers, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Breast augmentation

You would have to be seen in person to determine what implants would be best for you. Certainly a smallish implant can be placed if that is what you desire.

AAA breasts on very slender frame - would love a full B without losing my shape/slope!

Thank you for your question and photographs.  Breast implant selection is an exciting, but stressful part of the breast augmentation process as there are so many choices. Unfortunately it is impossible to recommend the best implant style, size or shape without an in-person examination that allows for the measurement of key breast parameters, as well as permits an in-depth discussion as to your desired goals and outcome. I would recommend you see an ASPS board certified plastic surgeon who can offer you a series of implant options so that you can select the size the best fits your desired goals.  Silicone implants are used 3:1 today for augmentations and offer a natural, long-lasting result, with most patients able to return to work within a week's timeframe.  Best wishes!

Thank you for the question. I think that you are starting at a good place and should have a very nice outcome with breast augmentation surgery, assuming you choose your plastic surgeon carefully and communicate your goals carefully as well. 
 Generally speaking, the best online advice I can give to ladies who are considering breast augmentation surgery ( regarding breast implant size/profile selection) is:
1. Concentrate on choosing your plastic surgeon carefully. Concentrate on appropriate training, certification, and the ability of the plastic surgeon to achieve the results you are looking for. Ask to see lots of examples of his/her work.

2. Have a full discussion and communication regarding your desired goals with your plastic surgeon. This communication will be critical in determining breast implant size/type/profile will most likely help achieve your goals.  In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. For example, I have found that the use of words such as “very natural” or "full B cup" etc means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful. Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on him who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup size may also be inaccurate. Again, the use of computer imaging has been very helpful during the communication process, in our practice.

3. Once you feel you have communicated your goals clearly, allow your plastic surgeon to use his/her years of experience/judgment to choose the breast implant size/profile that will best meet your goals. Again, in my practice, this decision is usually made during surgery, after the use of temporary intraoperative sizers. I hope this (and the attached link, dedicated to breast augmentation surgery for patients with petite frames) helps. Best wishes for an outcome that you will be very pleased with.

AAA breasts and very slender frame wanting a natural breast augmentation result.

Based upon your photos, I think that obtaining the full B cup that you desire with a natural look is a realistic and achievable goal.  I would recommend the silicon implant for you.  Saline implants are much more likely to form "ripples" (a scalloped edge to the implant)  and will show, especially in thin women. Silicon implants also come in different base widths and projections that can be tailored to you chest dimensions.  Downtime from the procedure parallels wound healing and therefore you need to be careful in the first couple of weeks and then less so every week thereafter.  If you have a sedentary job, you can return to it in 1-2 weeks.  You can expect to return to most activities by 6 weeks.  See a board certified plastic surgeon and good luck

John Zavell, MD, FACS
Toledo Plastic Surgeon

Anatomical shaped silicone #breastimplants are often a good choice for women with slender/petite frames.

Good question! Let me first start off by saying that if you are interested in this process, you should seek out a plastic surgeon who is certified by the ASPS. Check out their websites and make sure you see lots of results that YOU like. When you schedule your consultation, you ought to have the opportunity to try on different implant sizes and styles. In our office, we have bras and tank tops you can wear with the implants to get a feel for what they may look like on your frame. If you aren't sure if the office you are going to has a similar set up, think about bringing your own top (maybe a nice top that you think will look great after your procedure and also a t-shirt to see what the implants would look like on your off-days).In my practice, many women with slender frames choose anatomical shaped silicone gel implants, because it allows them to retain a natural slope to their breasts, since they don't have as much fat or breast tissue to cover the implant. An anatomical shaped implant has more of a 'teardrop' shape compared to most implants, which are round. Good luck in your search.

Breast implants and a small frame

Hello,Thanks for your question. You are wise to be concerned about your frame size vs. implant size. In our practice, we use Vectra computer imaging to allow you to "try on" implants to get a very realistic view of what you will look like with the implants you choose. Not only is size important but the implant profile is as well. I would recommend you have a consultation with a board-certified plastic surgeon that offers Vectra imaging. Good luck.

Janet Turkle, MD