I have a keloid on my chest that is horribly painful and embarrassing. What are the best treatment options? (Photo)

Dermatologist I saw said to start with steroid injections. That excision would cause a greater risk of it growing back even larger. Will steroids alone completely shrink it? Or take away the redness and pain?

Keloids/Scar -- Fraxel, 5fu/steroids, pulsed dye/vbeam/yellow laser, microneedling/PRP, surgical removal

I suggest treatments such as injections or lasers, if that is not sufficient surgery and/or radiation can help.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Keloid expert in Los Angeles

Our office specializes in keloids. Start with massage and application of Plato's Scar Serum followed by IIT and laser. 
Best, Dr. Karamanoukian
Los Angeles

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Chest keloid that is painful and embarrassing.

Thank you for sharing your question and photograph.  I agree with your dermatologist in starting with steroid injections directly into the scar in order to help minimize its projection, redness, and itching.  In most cases of keloids I recommend a multi-modal approach with silicone sheeting and compression treatment as well.  Hope this helps. 

Treatment options for keloid on chest

I would agree with your dermatologist and try steroid injections first for the keloid scar on your chest.  It would also be possible to improve the redness with a laser treatment.  It is possible that surgical excision could just make the scar larger, as the chest area typically is not the best area for scar healing.  

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon