Will Sientra implants ever be available for more surgeons?

Will more surgeons get them eventually?

You do not have to choose between the right doctor and the right implant.

You do not have to choose between the right doctor and the
right implant. The right doctor will provide you with the options and outcomes
you are looking for from your breast augmentation procedure.

As others have mentioned,
Sientra implants are available to all board-certified plastic surgeons. There
is a lot to like about Sientra implants— with their High-Strength Cohesive
Silicone Gel interior and durable outer shell, these implants offer innovations
in shape retention, leak resistance, and provide a natural look and feel to the
breasts. Despite being relatively new in the States, Sientra implants have been
used for years in other countries and come with an excellent safety record. In
addition to offering an extensive warranty against rupture, Sientra offers the
industry’s only capsular contracture replacement plan (CapCon Care Program).

Does this mean Sientra
implants are your best choice for your procedure? No. Does not offering Sientra
implants mean you should choose a different doctor? Maybe. As board-certified
plastic surgeons, I feel we owe it to our patients to have expertise and
experience with implants from all three manufacturers (Sientra, Allergan, and
Mentor). No single manufacturer provides every size, shape, texture, and
characteristic that will meet the unique needs and goals each patient has for
her breast augmentation procedure. Whether or not you ultimately choose to
have Sientra implants, I recommend setting up another consultation with another
board-certified plastic surgeon who offers Sientra implants before making your
final decision.

Sientra available to all surgeons

The Sientra breast implants are available to all plastic surgeons that are certified by the American Board of Plastic surgery, if your surgeon cannot get them, they are probably not board certified in plastic surgery.

Dennis Dass, MD

Sientra implants are available to ALL board-certified plastic surgeons.

If your doctor is an ABPS-certified plastic surgeon (not a board-certified "cosmetic surgeon" [Dermatologist] or doctor of other specialty training that may have little or nothing to do with plastic surgery) then she can obtain Sientra implants.

If she claims she cannot get them, seek out another surgeon, for I fear she may not be a "real" plastic surgeon, even if you do like her. Check her credentials and ask what board certified her. Only the American Board of Plastic Surgery certifies plastic surgeons. The so-called American Board of Cosmetic Surgeons certifies doctors of various specialty training, and is NOT one of the 24 member boards of the ABMS (American Board of Medical Specialties). The ABPS is an ABMS member.

Best wishes! Dr Tholen

Richard H. Tholen, MD, FACS
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Sientra Breast Implants

If your PS is board certified, she can simply contact Sientra to obtain the implants.  Sientra only sells to BC plastic surgeons (by ABPS - The American Board of Plastic Surgery) who are members of ASAPS (The American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery) and or a member of ASPS (The American Society of Plastic Surgeons). Recently approved by the FDA, Sientra silicone shaped implants are now available for use in the United States. These implants have been used extensively in Europe and South America. They provide a nice "tear-drop" shape for women who want a very natural and "athletic" look.  Also Sientra is the only implant company who has a warrantee (C3 Program) if you develop a capsule after receiving their textured implants. They have a special process which makes the texture. This implant shell is unavailable elsewhere.  Check it out.  All the best, "Dr. Joe"

Who can use SIentra implants

Sientra implants are only available to board-certified plastic surgeons. There are many doctors that are not plastic surgeons who do breast augmentation but they will not be sold the implants by the company.That is where the limited access comes from. It is the company's desire to limit the access only to board-certified plastic surgeons .

Julio Garcia, MD

Sientra implant availabilty

Sientra implants are only available to plastic surgeons certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery or those surgeons who are currently going through the board-certification process.  If your surgeon does not have access to Sientra implants, first ask her if she is board-certified by the ABPS.  If she is, then she can order the implants.  If she is not, you should consider seeing a surgeon who is certified by the ABPS.

Samir S. Rao, MD
Chevy Chase Plastic Surgeon

Sientra implants only available to board certified plastic surgeons

Sientra breast implants are available in the United States to all board certified plastic surgeons that are certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery (ABPS) which is the only plastic surgery board recognized by the American Board of Medical Specialties. Sientra is the only breast implant manufacturer in the United States that will only sell their breast implants to this group of highly trained surgeons. The other two manufacturers (Allergan and Mentor) also make great products but they sell their breast implants to any physician with a medical license whether they are trained in surgery or not, and whether they are board certified by the ABPS pr not. All patients should do their homework carefully before considering surgery, and you can confirm board certification on the website referenced, and from the Sientra website. You should discuss some of these issues with your surgeon, because if she a board certified plastic surgeon, she should have no problem getting them and using them for your augmentation. That being said, there are many nuances to achieving the best results and a qualified surgeon will be able to discuss these differences and help you choose, not only the right size and shape, but also implant manufacturer to give you the best result.

Kamakshi Zeidler, MD
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

I do not know how they distribute this implants on USA, but here in DR I have availability all the time for all my patients. I have been working continually with them for more than 15 years with no interruption.

I should advise you that some times surgeons prefer other implants, and try to imposed them to their patients. I do not know if that is the case, but is very strange this "no availability" reason.

Adolfo Sesto, MD

Sientra implants exclusively available to board certified plastic surgeons

While the other two FDA approved breast implant manufactures will supply other practicing surgeons, Sientra makes their implants available to only plastic surgeons certified (or board eligible) by The American Board of Plastic Surgery.  With an exceptional device and surgical implantation through qualified plastic surgeons, they are able to offer exceptional coverage and warranties even so far as providing new implants for a patient in the unforeseen capsular contraction (in the primary augmentation patient if this occurs during the first 2 years) after your surgery. We carry all of the cosmetic silicone implants in our surgical facility and I prefer the classic and round base shaped anatomic implants and preferentially use Sientra implants in the majority of my patients.

Christopher S. Verbin, MD

Sientra implants are available only to Board Certified (& Board Eligible) Plastic Surgeons

• Sientra only sells their implants to Board Certified/Eligible Plastic Surgeons. If your surgeon is certified or eligible to become board certified (American Board of Plastic Surgery), she can obtain these Sientra implants for her patients. 
  • We offer implants from all of the US manufacturers in our practice.  
  • Sientra offers our patients a superior product and warranty program and has become a fine addition to the practices of plastic surgeons who perform breast augmentations.
Best Regards,

Douglas J. Raskin, MD
Colorado Springs Plastic Surgeon