Can I have an iframammary incision when moving implants from over the muscle to under?

I have silicone implants (350cc) over the muscle and want to change them to under. I also want to have my breast sitting slightly higher on my chest. My incision are in the breast crease. A double board certified surgeon has told me that he can change the implants from over to fully under the muscle and also stitch them up so they sit higher. He can only do this going through the areola. However, I don't want additional scarring. Can this be done through my current incisions??? Many thanks

Doctor Answers 2


Thank you for your question. It would be helpful to provide photos. Yes this can be easily performed through your existing breast crease incision. Some surgeons have preferences for certain incisions. I have performed many revisional breast surgeries and know your procedure can easily be done through your existing incision. Best of luck

Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 178 reviews

Can I have an iframammary incision when moving implants from over the muscle to under?

I am sure that you will find plastic surgeons will have different "preferences";  important will be that you select a plastic surgeon based on demonstrable experience achieving the types of outcomes you will be pleased with (with this type of relatively complex revisionary breast surgery).  Personally, I prefer to do this type of revisionary breast surgery using an infra areolar incision. I find that this approach provides me with the best visualization of all areas and technically more precise adjustment of the breast implant capsules (capsulorrphy),  which will be necessary to "raise" your breast implants on your chest wall. I hope this, and the attached link/video, helps. Best wishes.

Tom J. Pousti, MD, FACS
San Diego Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 1,448 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.