Can I have an iframammary incision when moving implants from over the muscle to under?

I have silicone implants (350cc) over the muscle and want to change them to under. I also want to have my breast sitting slightly higher on my chest. My incision are in the breast crease. A double board certified surgeon has told me that he can change the implants from over to fully under the muscle and also stitch them up so they sit higher. He can only do this going through the areola. However, I don't want additional scarring. Can this be done through my current incisions??? Many thanks

Changing Incision When Changing Implant Placement

It is not uncommon to change positions if you are deemed a candidate to do so per the condition of your current implants and pocket. The incision choice is contingent on your doctor's preference and the condition of your implants and their pocket. There are some studies that report a lesser incidence of firm capsules with placement behind the pectoralis muscle. If you developed firm capsules and your implants were submammary (behind the breast tissue) then conversion to a #submuscular position should be considered. This #placement is particularly better for the very thin patient who has little breast or fat in the upper part of their chest. In most circumstances, those patients with #ptosis (#sagging) require placement above the muscle in a #submammary position or under the muscle combined with a mastopexy (breast lift) for #contour purposes. It's best to consult with a board certified plastic surgeon in person to better learn your options. 

Deciding on additional #elective cosmetic #surgery is a personal #choice. Your procedures should always be performed by a #PlasticSurgeon who is board-certified and has a great deal of experience specializing in cosmetic #surgery. You will then greatly improve your chances of getting the result you desire, and, without the need for a revision surgery. It is suggested that you look at before and after photos of the surgeons actual patients, and read patient reviews. Gathering all of this information will help you make a well-informed decision.

Incision

Thank you for your question. It would be helpful to provide photos. Yes this can be easily performed through your existing breast crease incision. Some surgeons have preferences for certain incisions. I have performed many revisional breast surgeries and know your procedure can easily be done through your existing incision. Best of luck

Christopher J. Morea, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

I am sure that you will find plastic surgeons will have different "preferences";  important will be that you select a plastic surgeon based on demonstrable experience achieving the types of outcomes you will be pleased with (with this type of relatively complex revisionary breast surgery).  Personally, I prefer to do this type of revisionary breast surgery using an infra areolar incision. I find that this approach provides me with the best visualization of all areas and technically more precise adjustment of the breast implant capsules (capsulorrphy),  which will be necessary to "raise" your breast implants on your chest wall. I hope this, and the attached link/video, helps. Best wishes.