I am Australian, I have 22 year old Saline Implants, one is now leaking but my Dr says Im free of any problems?

I am interested in getting this implant replaced and the other one in case it starts leaking too as the set is very old. The also had folds and were originally not completely filled which I have read can also cause valve leakage etc. I expect to cover the cost of the operation in all. I do however wonder if my income protection insurance (not health insurance) might cover the time Im absent from work while in recovery?

Doctor Answers 2

Re-Augmentation Following Saline Implant Rupture

In the case of saline breast implants, the decision to undergo re-augmentation is often triggered by the rupture of one implant. In these cases, a reasonable course of action is to first purposefully rupture the opposite implant. This can be performed in the office under local anesthesia and oral pain medication. By rupturing both implants, the breast capsules can decrease in size, allowing a more facile removal of each implant shell at the time of surgery. The pockets for the new implants can then be created to best fit the new implants.

Many women elect for silicone implants for re-augmentation. My preference is to use textured silicone implants at the time of exchange. Surface texturing has been shown to decrease rates of capsular contracture (scarring around the implant). Seek consultation from your board certified plastic surgeon to determine what approach is right for you.

As far as cost coverage, many implant companies will warranty their implants against rupture. Sientra, the first company to obtain FDA approval for shaped implants, will actually warranty their implants against capsular contracture! Try to obtain your warranty information and ask your plastic surgeon to help you connect with the company that manufactured your implants.

Orlando Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 191 reviews

22 year old implants

Wow - you got a lot of mileage out of those implants - my advice is that if one is leaking then you should get both replaced - best of luck!

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.