Weird looking breasts after reduction surgery. Is this normal? (Photo)

I had breast reduction surgery 5 months ago. I have extremely bulky areas under my arm area that weren't there prior to surgery. I am unable to purchase a bra because of this, and also it is difficult for me to lye on my side in bed. Is this normal? I am not overweight.

Fullness under arm post breast reduction

The breast does extend under the arm pit, and is usually reduced in  a breast reduction.  There will be swelling after the procedure though and this can take months to resolve. If there is still excess volume then the solution is likely liposuction, but this needs review with your treating surgeon to formulate a plan

I hope that helps

Jeremy Hunt

Lateral skin after reduction

What you're seeing is common, and I try to warn all of my patients about it preoperatively.  If you had a reduction, what you're seeing isn't new, it was there before, your heavy breasts just covered it up.  Once the breast is reduced and in a better place, all the sudden that lateral fullness on the chest wall is more visible.  I try to do lipo there, but it doesn't always go away, and is a separate procedure (especially in the eyes of the insurance company), so sometimes we are unable to fully address it, and it requires a revision.  I'll often give patients the option to have that taken off also as part of the cosmetic portion.

Cain R. Linville, MD
Houston Physician

Breast Reduction

Hello and thank you for your question. The photos you have submitted make it hard to determine what may be going on with your breast. An examination by your surgeon would be the best way to figure it out. This may be excess skin on the lateral side of the breast. Best Wishes Theodore T. Nyame MD  Harvard Trained Plastic Surgeon

Theodore Nyame, MD
Charlotte Physician