Veneers & composites; can I get composites on top to achieve a fuller look?

I had veneers done a few months ago but I didn't get the look that I was trying to achieve & was wondering if you can put composites on top to achieve a fuller look.

#Veneers and composites #DrSoftTouch

Hello there,
I'm sorry to hear that you are unhappy with your veneers. Placing composite over them is not the answer. Composite chips and stains easily, so placing composite over your porcelain veneers would not be a long term solution to fix your smile.  The best advice I can give is to speak with your dentist about your concerns.  Depending on the number of veneers you've had done, it may be possible to do more veneers to achieve a "fuller" look (veneering your premolars).  If you opt to have your veneers replaced to achieve the look you're going for, be sure that you are happy with them before having them permanently cemented. Good luck and I hope this helps. Follow me if you have more questions.

Sarah Thompson, DMD
St. Louis, MO area (O'Fallon, IL)
Real Self 100

Fuller look by other means

While it is technically possible to bond composite to porcelain, it would be taking a step backward. Composite is an inferior product to porcelain and the appearance would not look very good in a short period of time.

How many teeth did you get veneers placed on?

It may be possible to just re-treat the premolars which I'm assuming would be four teeth in your case. If you haven't already veneered all the premolars, then you need to add the two premolars on each side which could be fabricated to broaden the smile.

Douglas Jopling,  DDS
Dallas Texas area

Composite with veneers not possible

You cannot add composite to change the look of the veneers.  In order to achieve the fuller look you want, you would need to have the veneers redone.

Joel Klasfeld, DDS
New York Dentist

Veneers

Thank you for your question.  Veneers are a permanent restoration.  The time to make changes is when you are in the the Temporary Veneer.  The Temporary gives you an idea of what to expect in the Permanenet Veneer.  It's easy to make changes in the Temporary with Composite.  Once the Permananet is in changes are very difficult to make.  If you are not happy then you would have to have them redone.  Good Luck!  

Supriya Verma, DMD, FAGD
New York Dentist

Porcelain veneers

No that is not possible.  porcelain veneers are porcelain and you can not bond composite on top of them.  It will ruin the porcelain.