Unsure if gynecomastia surgery was unsuccessful.

I had gyno surgery almost a year ago. Both sides. The left was much larger than the right. Problem is is that my chest looks only slightly smaller than before the surgery. I can't feel the rubbery mass when I pinch it from the sides, but I do feel a sort of grainy mass right above where the areola starts. I've tried massaging it, and when I do, it feels like I've been stuck with a needle. My doctor affirms that the gland has been removed, and just to give it time, but I'm not sure. Any ideas?

Doctor Answers 3

One Year Post Gynecomastia Surgery

It's difficult to determine without pictures or a one-on-one in-person consultation. Our patients are required to wear a compression garment for the a few weeks following their #Gynecomastia surgery. The #compression garment helps to reduce the swelling, and the longer it is worn, the more quickly you will heal.We recommend it not be removed, at all, until the second or third day after the surgery. After that, we suggest they feel free to temporarily remove the #garment for showering or laundering only. We encourage our patients to maintain circumferential pressure for 4-6 weeks, but they may switch to an exercise compression garment when advised.

Massaging the areas will help soften the scar tissue which feel "lumpy” and irregular areas. This hardening or tight feeling will decreases with time and massaging can help it.

Bruising and #swelling are normal and usually increase slightly after the removal of any tape or foam. The bruising will decrease over 3-4 weeks, but may last as long as 6 weeks. The majority of the swelling will be gone within the first 3-4 weeks. However, it may take 6-9 weeks to disappear completely. 
The #compression garment helps reduce the swelling, and the longer it is worn, the more quickly you will #heal. It can also assist in the retraction of the skin. If you have any concerns about #healing, its best to ask questions of your surgeon or their nursing staff.

Orange County Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 109 reviews

Second opinion

It is difficult to assess your condition with just your description. Could you kindly attach a photo? You could also get a second opinion with a physical exam from a board certified plastic surgeon in your area.

Michael Constantin Gartner, DO
Paramus Plastic Surgeon
4.7 out of 5 stars 137 reviews

Gynecomastia Surgery Healing


Thanks for the post. It would be helpful if you provided a photo of your chest, both before and after the procedure. It is difficult to advise based on your description but what you may be feeling is either residual breast tissue, scar tissue, or fat globules. Again, without an in person exam it is impossible to determine what it is and what needs to be done. I would consider getting a second opinion by a plastic surgeon who specializes in gynecomastia surgery.


Dr. Dadvand

Babak Dadvand, MD
Los Angeles Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 44 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.