Tear trough filler question

My surgeon says that the dermal filler in the tear trough area is placed under the skin along the bone. When i look at a picture of a skull, it seems to me there is no bone in that area, just two large hollows. Can somebody clear this up for me...

Tear trough

Please find a better anatomy poster to look at and trust a doctor who actually went to medical school and not just looked at a picture of the skull to find out where the tear troughs are.

Cambridge Facial Plastic Surgeon

Tear trough

heygoodlooking, your surgeon is correct and a trans-oral route is the best one to take for this procedure. There is a risk of going blind but it is rare. I prefer a "SOOF lift blepharoplasty" to correct this problem but that would require surgery and anaesthesia. Good luck!

M. Sean Freeman, MD
Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon

Tear trough filler placement

Thanks for your question.  Your surgeon is correct.  The filler is often injected on top of the bone just below the hollow of the eye.  This is an advanced injection technique given the important structures in the area, so make sure you select a physician injector with the proper training and experience.  Best of luck!

Alix J. Charles, MD
Hinsdale Dermatologic Surgeon