Round or tear drop breast implants? (photos)

I have been doing heaps of research and am leaning towards having round implants. However, on emailing my photos to an overseas surgeon, tear drops have been recommended for me. Now I'm worried it might be because they want to get more money off me as tear drops are more costly obviously. What do you think? Are tear drops best for my breast shape? I only wanted to go as natural as possible. (prob around 275-300cc) thanks!

Round advised

Hi. For your frame and at that volume I would recommend round implants which in my opinion would be textured and on top of the muscle. I would highly discourage overseas surgery for a number of reasons. If you do the maths on the cost in the long term it is not cheaper when you consider that many australian plastic surgeons wont charge you for any revisionary surgery including capsular contracture. You also get world class surgeons, sterility, safety, security, individualised implant selection and followup postop. This can all be achieved for a reasonable price. Regards damien

Implant size and shape

Choosing the right size and shape of implant depends on any number of factors all of which require an in person exam. It is one of the many reason that I am wary of patients who seek overseas doctors. Especially since if anything goes wrong, there is no one in your area to oversee your aftercare. I would highly recommend that you find a surgeon in your area and book an in person consultation. I've attached a link below. Best, Dr. Nazarian

Sheila S. Nazarian, MD

Tear drop versus round

The selection of a particular size and style implant is predicated on both a thorough discussion of your goals as well as an evaluation of your anatomy.  In my practice I often recommend shaped implants for a patient with a small frame, small breasts, and who desires a natural non-augmented look.  With regards to your concern about your surgeon wanting to get more money, the implant costs do not go to the surgeon but to the company supplying the implants.  There is no incentive for the surgeon.  The surgeon is recommending this implant because he or she thinks it will give you the best result and not because it will get him or her more money.  Hope this helps!

Implant choice

Thanks for your question and photos.
Based on your photos, you will have a great result from breast augmentation.
The choice for implant (size, shape, profile, type) should be tailored to your body and your desired goal.
Please review before and after photo gallery and share your wish photo with your plastic surgeon.
Based on examination of your chest and understanding your goal, your plastic surgeon should guide you to the right implant for you.

In general, anatomic (tear-drop) shape can give more natural upper pole than round implant.
Whether you go with tear drop or round implant, the surgeon's cost will be the same.  The price of implant is set by the implant companies. Here in the States, anatomic implant cost is higher than that of round implant.

Best regards.

Australian Breast Augmentation

Thanks for your question and pictures.   So your question and the decision you come to depends upon the collaborative discussion you have with your plastic surgeon. 

A detailed consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon is important to establish your postoperative goals and determine what implant size and type would be best for you. In my practice I like to review different photos of my patients to establish what shape and volume they seem to like most. It is also very important to perform a detailed exam to evaluate the thickness of your breast tissue, skin tone and the dimensions of your chest. I like to have my patients try on sizers to get a feel for what they may look like and also appreciate how heavy the implants might feel. It is also useful to incorporate some additional 3-D imaging to get a sense for the subtle change between different implant types.

The advice I give to my patients focuses on 3 key elements.

1. Select a board certified plastic surgeon that you can communicate with comfortably to establish your desired look.

2. Establish that your plastic surgeon has your best interest in mind and make sure that they can explain your procedure to you in a way that makes sense and makes you comfortable. I want my patients to walk out of my consults and feel like they “get it” with respect to their surgical plan. I want to make sure that my patients can understand what a specific implant may deliver in regard to their results. This is common when we are trying to determine the size a patient desires, and also whether or not to select a shaped highly cohesive implant compared to a round silicone gel or saline implant.

3. Make sure that you understand what to expect in terms of your recovery and postoperative instructions. In my practice I give my patients additional instructions and tools to help them recover. In addition, I follow all of my patients closely after surgery and visit with them at 1 week and 3 weeks after surgery to make sure they are healing as expected.

Steven M. Camp, MD
Fort Worth Plastic Surgeon

Round or tear drop breast implants?

I appreciate your question.

The size of implant best for you is dictated by your chest wall measurements. Once we determine that we can choose the profile based on what you want or need to achieve.  If you are seeking a natural look, then the diameter of the implant should be equal to or, more ideally, smaller than the width of your breast. The breast width is a measurement of how wide your breast is at the base, which should be measured at the level of the nipple. Choosing an implant that is smaller in diameter than your breast width will avoid the "side breast" fullness that is often associated with a more artificial appearance. Other than that, you should choose the implant based on volume, not on the dimensions of the implant. You should choose a board certified plastic surgeon that you trust to help guide you in this decision.

Silicone will give you a fullness at the top (upper pole fullness).
Silicone implants come pre-filled with a silicone gel and are the softest implant available. They feel more natural, which makes them a good option for women with less natural breast tissue; but they require a larger incision. It may be more difficult to realize if this type of implant has ruptured, so it is important to monitor them with annual follow-up visits. Additionally, because this implant contains a more liquid silicone (less cross-linked), if this implant should rupture, it will leak only into the scar capsule formed around the implant but may cause some discomfort or implant distortion.

Anatomic gummy bear implants might be a good choice to give you volume.
These highly-sought-after, anatomic implants offer a look that more closely resembles the natural silhouette of a breast, and, therefore, are a very attractive option for individuals seeking a natural-looking, aesthetic primary breast augmentation. Additionally, these implants are an especially excellent option for patients undergoing restorative or corrective breast surgery because they provide more stability, shape, and reduced incidence of capsular contracture. Compared to other types of silicone gel implants, the silicone in the cohesive gel implant is more cross-linked; therefore, should the implant shell “rupture,” it maintains its shape and silicone does not leak.

During your breast augmentation consultation, you should feel the different types of implants available, and try on various implant sizers in front of a mirror to help you to get an idea of how you will look following the surgery. You should also bring pictures of the look you would like to achieve, as well as a favorite top to wear when trying on implant sizers.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.
Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

Stick with round implants

Thank you for your question and photographs.  Round implants under the muscle will give you a more natural look, you don't have to worry about implant rotation and they will cost you less. I have tremendous experience with both. Stay with round.

James McMahan, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Size and shape

Both implants will probably do well for you. The round would look very nice under the muscle, just based on your photos. I would suggest meeting with a board certified plastic surgeon and discussing all your concerns/.

Connie Hiers, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Choosing implants

Thank you for the question and photos. The choosing of implants is a very crucial and is one that should be done through an in-person exam. Various aspects could affect the choice of implants like breast tissue, body measurements, desired end result and the like. Bra sizes also differ from one manufacturer to another so a carefully selected implant can be able to get you very close to that size. It is always best to visit a board-certified plastic surgeon and have a full evaluation for your concern. Best of luck. Dr. Michael Omidi.

An in-person exam with a board-certified plastic surgeon is the best way to assess your needs and provide true medical advice.

Michael M. Omidi, MD, FACS

Round vs tear drop implant

Thank you for question!  There is no incentive for a physician to recommend one over the other.  I usually recommend form stable implants for my smaller framed patients who want a natural look and smaller implant.  I hope this helps.

Chad Robbins, MD