My surgeon used gauze to reinforce the pocket so my implant wouldn't drop. Is this normal?

9days post revision ba. My surgeon said he enlarged the pocket on my left side to allow the implant to sit lower and then reinforced it with gauze to ensure it wouldn't drop any further. I have so much pain in this Breast and it's hard around the scar and painful to touch. the other is soft and pain free although way smaller but that is another story all together. I'm just wondering if this is a common practice or should I be worried?

Implant pocket reinforced with gauze? correct approach?

Thank you for asking about your breast augmentation revision.
  • Your surgeon would not have put gauze inside you to reinforce the surgery.
  • EITHER your surgeon put bolster sutures to support the breast crease and the gauze is outside, with the sutures causing you pain.
  • OR your surgeon sutured surgical mesh inside you to support the implant.
  • You need to ask your surgeon exactly what has been done and what to do for the pan.
  • If you have bolster sutures, the pain should subside as soon as they are removed.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

I would suggest asking your surgeon specifically what he did. I doubt he used gauze, but mesh, to help support your breast. If he did have to change the fold, you may have more pain on that side. Please discuss any concerns you have with your doctor.

Connie Hiers, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

You will be best off clarifying with your plastic surgeon's statement;  online consultants can only speculate as to exactly what procedure was performed.  My guess:  your plastic surgeon may have used mesh (not gauze)  to provide more support for the breast implant.  I also use  bolster dressings (fashioned out of gauze) externally for patients undergoing this type of revisionary breast surgery.

Again, best to clarify with him/her. Best wishes for an outcome that you will be pleased with longer-term.