What size implants to match my body and fill in my breast? (Photo)

What size do you think I would need? I have quite a bit extra skin. I was looking at the gel or "gummy bear" type of implant. I have decided to go with implants as it seems like the best option for me. I want to go under the muscle. I am 5,7 and slim with wide heaps ( bony ) and broad shoulders. Would just like opinions Thankyou

Ideal implant size

Your photos suggest that there is not any significant degree of ptosis (droop). You have narrow breast widths. The actual measurements conducted at the time of a consultation should help to determine more exactly the ideal volume for your case. The breasts appear to have loose skin which will allow you to accomodate a significant increase in size, say 400-500 cc. You  can try measuring at home: fill a nylon stocking with rice and insert this inside your bra. Measure the volume once you achieve the desired amount of fill (rice) by emptying the rice into a measuring cup. About 200 cc equals one cup size increase (American measure).

Norfolk Plastic Surgeon

#breastaugmentation

Hi. Whilst you do not have any droop of the nipple and do not require a lift, you do have a lot of excess skin which needs to be filled. This means you will need a bigger implant ie likely more than 400 cc. My preference would be a subglandular otherwise you will be at risk of a waterfall deformity. If you go under the muscle it would need to be dual plane. 

Regards

Damien

Breast Implants/Breast Augmentation/Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/ Silicone Implants/Breast Implant Revision Surgery

I appreciate your question.

The size of implant best for you is dictated by your chest wall measurements.  Once we determine that we can choose the profile based on what you want or need to achieve.  If you are seeking a natural look, then the diameter of the implant should be equal to or, more ideally, smaller than the width of your breast. The breast width is a measurement of how wide your breast is at the base, which should be measured at the level of the nipple. Choosing an implant that is smaller in diameter than your breast width will avoid the "side breast" fullness that is often associated with a more artificial appearance.  Other than that, you should choose the implant based on volume, not on the dimensions of the implant. You should choose a board certified plastic surgeon that you trust to help guide you in this decision.  

Silicone will give you a fullness at the top (upper pole fullness).

Silicone implants come pre-filled with a silicone gel and are the softest implant available. They feel more natural, which makes them a good option for women with less natural breast tissue; but they require a larger incision. It may be more difficult to realize if this type of implant has ruptured, so it is important to monitor them with annual follow-up visits. Additionally, because this implant contains a more liquid silicone (less cross-linked), if this implant should rupture, it will leak only into the scar capsule formed around the implant but may cause some discomfort or implant distortion.

Anatomic gummy bear implants might be a good choice to give you volume.

These highly-sought-after, anatomic implants offer a look that more closely resembles the natural silhouette of a breast, and, therefore, are a very attractive option for individuals seeking a natural-looking, aesthetic primary breast augmentation. Additionally, these implants are an especially excellent option for patients undergoing restorative or corrective breast surgery because they provide more stability, shape, and reduced incidence of capsular contracture. Compared to other types of silicone gel implants, the silicone in the cohesive gel implant is more cross-linked; therefore, should the implant shell “rupture,” it maintains its shape and silicone does not leak.

During your breast augmentation consultation, you should feel the different types of implants available, and try on various implant sizers in front of a mirror to help you to get an idea of how you will look following the surgery. You should also bring pictures of the look you would like to achieve, as well as a favorite top to wear when trying on implant sizers.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.

Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

#RealSelf100Surgeon

#RealSelfCORESurgeon

What size implants to match my body and fill in my breast?

Thank you for the question and pictures. It is difficult to tell, based on the photographs, whether or not breast lifting is also indicated; with your arms elevated, breast position may change.

Generally speaking, the best online advice I can give to ladies who are considering breast augmentation surgery ( regarding breast implant size/profile selection) is:

1. Concentrate on choosing your plastic surgeon carefully. Concentrate on appropriate training, certification, and the ability of the plastic surgeon to achieve the results you are looking for. ***Ask to see lots of examples of his/her work.

2. Have a full discussion and communication regarding your desired goals with your plastic surgeon. This communication will be critical in determining breast implant size/type/profile will most likely help achieve your goals. 

In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. For example, 

I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or "C or D cup” or "match my body" etc means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.

Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on him who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup size may also be inaccurate. Again, the use of computer imaging has been very helpful during the communication process, in our practice.

3. Once you feel you have communicated your goals clearly, allow your plastic surgeon to use his/her years of experience/judgment to choose the breast implant size/profile that will best meet your goals. Again, in my practice, this decision is usually made during surgery, after the use of temporary intraoperative sizers.

I hope this (and the attached link, dedicated to breast augmentation surgery concerns) helps. Best wishes. 

Advice on Implant Size and Implant type

I believe you may make a great candidate for implant-based breast augmentation.

I really like your question because many patients ask what implant size they need for fitting in a specific bra-cup, but you asked what size is needed for optimally filling your breasts. Cup-size does not correlate with implant size, so thank you for asking the right question.

We, board-certified plastic surgeons will assist you in choosing an implant that is more tailored to your breast characteristics in order to provide natural looking breasts.

The implant has to fit YOUR body dimensions. The more you deviate from the proper fit, the more fake your breasts will look.

We use what is called tissue-based planning. The planning takes into account the effects of implants on tissues over time, risks of excessive stretching, excessive thinning, visible or palpable implant edges, visible traction rippling, ptosis (Sagging), and breast tissue wasting.

To determine the implant size, breast measurements must be made: 1) Base Width of the existing breast tissue, 2) breast skin stretch, and 3) Nipple-to-Inframammary Fold distance. The combination of these measurements will help determine tissue coverage and the required implant volume to optimally fill the breasts.  

You mentioned that you have quite a bit of extra skin due to the deflated breasts, and this would be evident in the skin-stretch and nipple-to-inframammary fold distance measurement. While the breast width provides us with a starting implant size/volume recommendation, we will have to increase the size once we take the latter 2 measurements into account.

Regarding the gummy bear implant, please know that it is able to maintain its shape even after implant rupture because of extensive cross-linking between individual silicone chains. This means that even if the implant ruptures, the gel remains restricted inside the shell. This durability is related to the multi-layered shells of the implant as well, and as a result, it has also shown to have lower rates of capsular contracture and silicone gel diffusion.

However, it has the same rate of implant device failure as other silicone implants and saline implants (i.e., 1%/year or 10% risk of implant rupture in 10 years). All 5th-generation modern implants are safe, and multiple studies have shown the safety and longevity of silicone implants. However, saline and silicone implants have their own set of pros and cons.

Saline implants offers the advantage of a smaller incision to insert the implant as the implant appears in a non-inflated form that allows their volume to be adjusted during operation to make aesthetic looking breasts. Silicone implants cannot be adjusted and thus require larger incisions. The smaller incision required by saline implants, also minimizes scarring. Since saline is just salt-water it is fairly safe when absorbed by the body. Also, saline implants do not require MRIs to detect a silent implant rupture as in the case of silicone implants as deflation of saline implants will cause the affected breast to reduce in size.

Silicone Implants (5th generation silicone breast implants) offer the advantage of providing a more natural feel similar to the breast tissue once inside your breasts unlike saline implants which may feel hard like water-balloons. This characteristic makes silicone implants less detectable by touch. Silicone implants are ideal for thin woman with small breasts as do not ripple as much as saline implants.

Final Verdict: Both saline and silicone implants are very safe and durable, and there is almost no difference in terms of safety. However, if your question considers only the filler of the implant, then saline solution is inherently safer when exposed to the body compared to silicone which can cause an inflammatory response. If your major concern is safety, and you also prefer a natural look, then the new Ideal Implants may the right choice for you. Ideal implants have been created to provide the natural look and feel but with saline as a filler rather than silicone. The unique structure of the Ideal Implants allows for a similar look and feel as silicone with the safety of saline. Ask a board-certified plastic surgeon about IDEAL implants.

I urge you to have an in-person consultation with a board-certified plastic surgeon to learn more about your options regarding pocket (e.g., under the muscle), implant size, implant type, incision type, etc. Make sure to fully and comprehensively share your desires, expectations, and concerns to avoid miscommunication and post-operative concerns/regrets.

Hope this helps!

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Breast Augmentation - Size Selection

Thank you for your question. "Tissue based planning" relies on your chest and breast measurements and is the safest way to ensure good long term results. Your surgeon should determine what size and projection are necessary to give you your desired result based on your body's measurements. The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam. Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic breast surgery. Hope this helps and good luck with your surgery.

Brea

Thank you for your question and photos.   Based on your photos you appear to be an excellent candidate for Breast Augmentation.   Many patients are focused on the size of implant.  More importantly you need to schedule a consult with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon to do proper measuring of your chest.   A size that you think may look good, may be too big or small based on your frame.  There are many different types of implants on the market and it can be very overwhelming.  Your best bet is to go in to see a reputable surgeon and try on different sizes and discuss options.  Best of luck to you!

Shahin Fazilat, MD, FACS
Mountain View Plastic Surgeon