Which size implant would you recommend? (Photo)

My PS has recommended extra high profile round silicone implants with subfascial placement. I'm agonising over choosing a size because I don't want them to be too big but I want them to fit my chest properly! The sizes suggested are 325/345cc or 345/365cc (slight aysymetry) he also said that I had a "twisted ribcage" I weigh 55kgs, 167cm tall and have a bwd of 13 and 13.5. I have wideish hips and shoulders. Any recommendations would be much appreciated!

Implant choice

I think the volumes you have mentioned seem reasonable for your size.
If you are really worried about being too big, then I would recommend against using an extra high round implant especially in the subfascial pocket. Go with a high profile implant.
Using different sized implants is a good idea as on the images you have posted you do have asymmetry.

1 option is to use the 3D vectra machine which will help you visualise your final outcome.

I hope this helps. Good luck.

Picking the right implant to achieve your goals

In terms of picking the right implants to achieve your goals, generally speaking, I consider two factors when selecting implants for my patients:

1. Dimensional planning
2. Gel Implant Sizing system

Dimensional planning – The measurements of your chest wall are taken. Also, the breast dimensions including the height, width, and current dimensions of each breast form the basis of dimensional planning. Based on these measurements, the implant size is recommended. This will give you a unique breast implant that is suited for your body frame. However, there are some limitations of what size we can recommend. For instance, some implants may just be too big for a narrow chest wall. Your surgeon can review this with you during the consultation.

Gel Implant Sizing system – During the preliminary breast implant consultation, you will be provided with an option to “try on” a variety of implant shapes and sizes. You can also visualize the possible outcomes of your surgery which helps you to get that perfect size to give you the shape that you longed for. This way your preferences are known and you can then pick a range of implants that will “fit” just right to give a soft natural fuller look. Hope this helps.

Houston, TX

Choosing the right size!

Thank you for your question. It is very important that you discuss your expectations and concerns with your plastic surgeon. You must have clear, open communication with your surgeon. Since he is the expert, he must understand your concerns and help you make the best decision. You need to trust the doctor to make the best decision according to  your expectations. Trust your intuition and if you still have doubts, get a second opinion with another plastic surgeon. It is hard to evaluate your photo without taking the proper measurements needed to give the best recommendations. I wish you the best!!

Alfonso Gonzalez Cepeda, MD
Mexico Plastic Surgeon

Size is a personal choice

and not something that is done by what others say, unless they are telling you you look too big.  Asymmetric implants should help with your natural asymmetry but if you have a 'twisted' rib cage, you have to choose between having the mounds equal in size or having them project the same when looking down.  In the latter case, one breast will be larger.  Let your surgeon help you with your decisions as they should be equally motivated for you to have the absolute best results.

Curtis Wong, MD

Which size implant would you recommend?

Thank you for the question and picture. Based on your photograph, I think that you are starting at a good place and should have a very nice outcome with breast augmentation surgery. Unfortunately, online consultants will not be able to provide you with specific enough advice to be truly helpful.    Generally speaking, the best online advice I can give to ladies who are considering  breast augmentation surgery (regarding breast implant size/profile selection) is:

1. Concentrate on choosing your plastic surgeon carefully.  Concentrate on appropriate training, certification, and the ability of the plastic surgeon to achieve the results you are looking for. Ask to see lots of examples of his/her work.

2. Have a full discussion and communication regarding your desired goals  with your plastic surgeon. This communication will be critical in determining  breast implant size/type/profile will most likely help achieve your goals. 

In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. For example, I have found that the use of words such as  “natural” or "C or D cup" etc means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.
 Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on him who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup  size may also be inaccurate.  The use of in bra sizers and computer imaging may also be very helpful during this communication phase.

3.  Once you feel you have communicated your goals clearly,   allow your plastic surgeon to use his/her years of experience/judgment to choose the breast implant size/profile that will best meet your goals.  Again, in my practice, this decision is usually made during surgery (after the use of temporary sizers assessed with you in the upright position).

I hope this, and the attached link (dedicated to breast augmentation surgery concerns), helps.

Which size implant would you recommend?

The best cosmetic result in any particular breast augmentation patient depends on a variety of factors, including: your individual anatomy, realistic expectations, a thorough discussion with the plastic surgeon about the options, and an understanding of the pros and cons of any particular implant choice. Proper sizing is not just about the number of cc’s. The thickness of your tissue, breast dimensions which include the width, height, and projection, as well as chest wall width all need to be considered when choosing an implant. Trying on implant “sizers” of various shapes and volumes while wearing a tight t-shirt, bra, or bathing suit at a preoperative visit will help you and your surgeon choose the optimal implant.

Keep in mind that following the advice from a surgeon on this or any other website who proposes to tell you what to do without examining you, physically feeling the tissue, assessing your desired outcome, taking a full medical history, and discussing the pros and cons of each operative procedure would not be in your best interest. I would suggest that your plastic surgeon be certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and ideally a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) that you trust and are comfortable with. If you live outside of the United States, the surgeon should ideally be a member of the International Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ISAPS).

You should discuss your concerns with that surgeon in person.

Robert Singer, MD FACS

La Jolla, California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Implant size

Choosing the right implant size is based on your body dimensions with the most important being the your breast width.Your board certified plastic surgeon can review your measurements with you and help choose the right implant size and volume. With a wider width and hips/shoulders you may want to consider a lower profile implant.

Selecting Breast Implant Size

Thank you for your question and a picture.

It would be hard for me to second guess someone who has had the benefit of seeing you in person.

If your shoulders and hips are wider as you say that they are, then I would go with the larger size.

To be sure, see two or more experienced, board-certified Plastic Surgeons for a complete evaluation to make sure you are a good candidate and that it is safe for you to have surgery.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS

Which implant size would you recommend?

Hi Rachy1956,
Thanks for your question and photo.  As you can appreciate, in this forum, it is impossible to advise you on a suitable breast implant size without examination and assessing all your anatomical landmarks.  It is an important decision to make in conjunction with your PS, and any concerns after the consultation about size, should be tabled for discussion again.  I have a blog post about this topic, which I hope you will find useful, but it is still best to discuss with your PS in person rather than over the internet.  Best of luck, 

Vladimir Milovic, MD, FRACS
Sydney Plastic Surgeon