How do I use silicone tape to reduce BA scars? (photo)

Not sure if this is an obvious question, but how exactly should I use silicone tape? I'm now 6 weeks post BA and have been moisturising with vitamin E but am now ready to start reducing the scars. Do I apply the tape daily and remove for showering? How long should I continue to use it?

Silicone Tape for Breast Scars

Silicone tape is wonderful! Apply daily and wear it for most of the day. Yes you can remove it for showering. Once the incisions are flat and white you no longer need to use the tape. The tape also helps to avoid rubbing from a bra, particularly an underwire.

Tips for silicone strip scar treatment use

Thank you for this wonderful question! I incorporate self-adhesive silicone sheeting in all of my post-operative kits for my patients. I request that my patients wait until the incisions are completely closed prior to using. Typically, I will request the strips to be used between 6 and 8 hours at a time whether at night or during the day. You are able to clean these strips between use with mild soap and water and allow to fully dry prior to reuse. I do request that no other cream or topical ointment be used at the same time as the strips. Please follow up with your Board Certified Plastic Surgeon as your provider may have a specific regimen for you to follow. I hope that you have found this information helpful and I wish you luck! 

Patrick Viscardi, MD
South Bend Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for your question.  We recommend Embrace Scar Therapy to all our patients for scar therapy.  We have had great results.  If your surgeon does not carry it, you can order it online.   Best of luck to you!

Shahin Fazilat, MD, FACS
Mountain View Plastic Surgeon

Silicone tape to reduce scars, how to use?

Good Afternoon and thank you for your question, basically you must wash and dry the area being treated every time you apply the silicone sheet, make sure the scar site is free of creams, lotions and ointment as they will cause the sheet to lose adhesiveness. In general these sheeting should be worn every day for 6 to 23 hours, for a couple of months, and for best results it can be worn continuously but should be removed once per day for inspection of the site and to allow the site to be washed and dried. 

If you have highly sensitive skin, begin using the silicone sheets for 4 hours per day for the first 4 days to determine any possible reaction. Thereafter, increase usage time. 

They should be replaced when it deteriorates, disintegrates or will no longer stick. Each piece should last 3 to 4 weeks approximately. I hope you find this information useful. 

Rafael Gottenger, MD

Scar therapy

The silicone sheeting should have instructions on the packaging, but in general it is applied to clean, dry skin and left on for 12 hours.  You may consider looking into Embrace Scar Therapy.  We have had positive, consistent results with this product.

Camille Cash, MD

Scar treatment after breast augmentation

From the photo it appears as if your scars are healing nicely.  I would recommend that you discontinue using vitamin E as it can cause the scars to spread.  We recommend that our patients use Biocorneum or silicone tape.  The silicone sheeting can be removed before showering and re-applied.  Make sure that the skin is fully dry before you re-apply.  Always consult with your surgeon before using any products on your scars.

David Stoker, MD

Breast Augmentation - Scar Care

Thank you for your question. I instruct all of my patients to perform daily scar massage and apply a silicone based scar ointment or tape to their incisions. Biocorneum makes an excellent product. Please ask your board certified plastic surgeon for specific instructions regarding his or her scar management protocol. Hope this helps!

Improving breast augmentation scars

Thank you for asking about your breast augmentation.

• At least in the photo, your scars look quite good already.
  • To use silicone tape - the instructions are on the package and it is bought in a pharmcy, usually under the name of Scar Fade or Scar Tape.
  • Typically you remove every day to shower or bathe, then dry your skin and re-apply it.
  • However scars do improve by themselves - if your scars are flat and fading, then they will continue to do that on their own, without the tape.

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

How do I use silicone tape to reduce BA scars?

Thank you for your question. There are silicon tape  sheets available with adhesive so they will stick to the skin.  They can be removed for showering then reapplied and is supposed to last about a week.  Scar away is 1 brand.

Another option is to use Scarguard  which is a topical cream that can be applied.