No sensation in breasts 5 months after breast reduction. Is this normal?

Since having my breast reduction procedure in April of this year (2016) I have no sensation whatsoever in my left breast and nipple and no sensation in the outer side of my right breast. I also get this excruciating pain on the left breast and nipple area. I have been back to my surgeon, but he is very dismissive of this. It has been 5 months since my surgery, should sensation have come back by now?

Breast Reduction

Hello and thank you for your question. It is hard to determine whether what you are experiencing is normal without knowing the way your surgery was performed. Having numbness after a breast reduction is normal but it typically resolves over time. I would discuss this with another surgeon if you are uncomfortable with the surgeons assessment. Best Wishes Theodore T. Nyame MD  Harvard Trained Plastic Surgeon

Charlotte Physician