What are the risks of "overdoing it" at 6 weeks post-op?

At my 6 week appt with my PS I got the all-clear to resume exercise and have been healing well without any concerns. I did a gym workout today and took it easy but can tell I'll have lots of sore muscles tomorrow. A couple moves didn't feel good as they pulled at my chest and tonight my chest feels swollen again. I am avoiding pectoral exercises. Just wondering what risks I am running now if I do accidentally strain a muscle or what injuries I could be at risk of at this stage of healing?

Resuming Full Activity at Six Weeks

Avoid heavy lifting and strenuous activity for six weeks. You may, however, do normal activities at any time if they cause no pain or discomfort. Let your body tell you what you can or cannot do. Aerobic exercise will raise your blood pressure, which could cause late bleeding and harm your result. Once you begin exercising again, start gently and let your body tell you what it can tolerate. Don’t rush!! It may require the full 6 weeks before you can do any upper body work-outs, yoga, etc.

While the overall statement is being able to resume full exercise and activity at six weeks, if you find yourself concerned or worried at all about how far along you are in healing then you should always check with your surgeon first.

Minimal

Each week, your risks decreases for any significant adverse problems.  At six weeks, it is normal to still have the soreness and even pain with exertion.  Let your body be the judge.

Best Wishes,

Nana Mizuguchi, MD

Nana N. Mizuguchi, MD, FACS

Thank you for your question.  It is important that she listen to your body and if you are sore following exercise you should limit your exercise to a level which does not create discomfort afterwards.  Although this patient is returned to fairly normal activity at 6 weeks your breasts and implants are healing and adjusting to your body for at least 3 months.  Use good judgment and avoid activity which makes you sore.